Using all RO water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCondor

Reaction score
If I am unsure about my tap water, is it better to use all RO water than to cut it by half? Plan on brewing a pale ale soon and haven't had much luck with lighter beers. My dark beers are great which leads me to believe I have highly alkaline water ? Very new to water adjusting and just wanting to make better beer. If I use bru'n water would I use all zeros for the base water and make adjustments from that if using all RO water?

Bru'n water has a profile for RO water. You can set the dilution percentage to 100% RO for your base water. It will have low mineralization, but it does have some minerals as does RO water. From there, you can build according to your target water profile. Or you can read the water primer, which is a great starting point.

RO water + minerals is the foundation of great beer.

I agree.

If you're not ready for adding all the minerals and acid (like, you don't have them but you're going to brew) you could just add some acid malt to your grainbill to lower that pH. Plug into Brew'N to be very close with that RO, or just wing it and add 1 lb of acid malt and see what happens.

I have gypsum, calcium chloride, Epsom salt and some lactic acid. Again, very amateur at water chemistry but prepared. So for bru'n water just use all zeros for base water and adjust from there?

I have gypsum, calcium chloride, Epsom salt and some lactic acid. Again, very amateur at water chemistry but prepared. So for bru'n water just use all zeros for base water and adjust from there?

You've got this. My bet is you also have sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and don't realize it.... (hint: look in your pantry)

RO water isn't all 0s... in Brun'Water under Dilution Water Profile select RO water. It's close to 0, but not 0. You can get 0 by adding a DI stage, but that's overkill.

BTW ignore the guy that said add 1lb of acid malt. Unless you're making 1+ BBL batches of czech pilsner that just **** advice.

I use all RO water and go off the water chemistry primer for all my beers.
I tend to add about 25% more of everything apart from the acidification.
I also add 1/3 tsp Epsom salts per 5 gallons of water

Without knowing the profile of your tap water there is no way of knowing how much to dilute except trial and error. If you have access to RO water play with the Brunwater spread sheet to build a basic water profile for the beer you are brewing.

Yea I read my water report and posted the averages on here awhile back and people said it doesn't balance out so I would rather go with all RO. I am going to be brewing a pale ale. Basic recipe with some 2 row and small amounts of carapils and crystal.

No. Select the RO profile that's built in (has some small concentrations of stuff still), then set dilution percent to 100%.

You're telling it that your using pure RO.

Then just pick a profile to aim for and adjust. Once you have the water adjusted, fallout the mash acidification page. From there, once it predicts your mash pH you can either go back to the water profile page and add Alkalinity or Acid, then bounce back to the mash acidification page to see results.

Do I need to adjust my sparge water? I know it's an option to adjust on bru'n water but is it necessary?

I have a RO/DI filter from my reefkeeping days and will brew my first batch with RO/DI this weekend. I have all the chemicals lined up, calclium chloride, calcium carbonate, epson salts, magnesium chloride, pickling salt, etc

Chris

Do I need to adjust my sparge water? I know it's an option to adjust on bru'n water but is it necessary?

Yes, I feel it's necessary. I don't put the additions in my sparge water as I add my "sparge additions" at the start of the boil. This was the advice I received on this site and I've been doing that since. Tastes like it works!!:rockin:

BTW ignore the guy that said add 1lb of acid malt. Unless you're making 1+ BBL batches of czech pilsner that just **** advice.

if he were going to use that super high alkalinity water without knowing anything else about it, I think playing with some acid malt additions is ok advice, though yeah a whole pound in 5 gallons might be a lot.

In a 10 gallon batch of Wheat with pure RO I add a half pound and hit 5.4, so I figure with highly alkaline water it would take a bit more.

Of course, if he has all the stuff, half a brain, and a computer, then adjusting with accuracy is the better course. Your dumb a$$ should note that I said straight up that I agreed with that post.

Yes. I think pH for Sparge is pretty important and most of the minerals can be added to sparge so I do, except the baking soda.

I have a RO/DI filter from my reefkeeping days and will brew my first batch with RO/DI this weekend.

I did too, but I removed the DI filters because when I went to order new filters, one vendor's website said not to drink DI water because the resins aren't food grade. I figured I'd play it safe since DI isn't really necessary for brewing. YMMV.

And even if they are marked RO, they may not service the machine/filter regularly.

You may need a TDS meter to check...

Yes! Over the years we've heard many many times about surprises people get when they actually test the TDS of vending machine RO water. It's like a box of chocolates...

Russ

Yes. I think pH for Sparge is pretty important and most of the minerals can be added to sparge so I do, except the baking soda.

Please note, if you are using RO water for the sparge, then you do NOT need to make any adjustments to your sparge water. There is not sufficient alkalinity in RO water to bring the pH of the sparge to dangerous territory.

Besides the rise in ph do you need to adjust the sparge with additions just to keep the minerals at the correct level?

And even if they are marked RO, they may not service the machine/filter regularly.

You may need a TDS meter to check...

At my local kroger they specifically say- they at least list RO, carbon filter and UV treatment. They also have a sticker that says when it was last serviced. They seem to service it pretty regularly too - always is within 1-2 months.

I've been looking at bottled drinking water at Sam's Club, the label says it's RO with minerals added for taste. It is good drinking water and I've been considering using it as a base in brewing water, anyone doing this?

Besides the rise in ph do you need to adjust the sparge with additions just to keep the minerals at the correct level?

As TexasWine said, you don't need to worry about sparge water pH if you use RO water for the sparge - there isn't enough alkalinity to raise the pH even towards the end of the sparge.

That means that the only reason to add salts after the mash is for flavour. You can add them to the sparge water, but it's simpler to add them directly to the boil kettle.

I've been looking at bottled drinking water at Sam's Club, the label says it's RO with minerals added for taste. It is good drinking water and I've been considering using it as a base in brewing water, anyone doing this?

What "minerals for taste"? And how much? That could make a huge difference. Or not.

Back