Using a Tri-clamp fitting with Brewmometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinTurtle

Reaction score
I will be picking up some kettles later this week, probably in the 15g range. I am considering placing tri-clamp ferrules in two spots on the kettle to be used with a Brewmometer. Here's a pic of what I have in mind:

thermometer-triclamp.jpg

This way I could move the Brewmometer around the system depending on my needs (different kettles etc). My concern is the depth of the probe which only extends 1" (2.5 cm) beyond the ferrule. Will this be reasonably accurate?

I had a thermometer in my HLT that only extended inside about that far and it worked ok, but I always gave the water a quick stir before I checked the temperature. If you get a T-C cover with a half-coupler welded on, you might gain another 1/2-3/4" and with a short ferrule maybe a bit more but I think it would be difficult to weld.

I think with convection currents in the vessel it might not make much difference, but it might in a mash tun. I've checked the mash in various places with a long probe thermometer and it varied a bit from the permanent one mounted through the vessel wall (thermowell).

Six pints or so of homebrew tend to reduce temperature concerns whilst brewing....

Did you end up going down this path? I'm thinking of doing the same. I wonder if you could cut down the threaded TC adapter and re-thread it closer to the TC flange.

Latest posts

Back