Using a pump with Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra173

Reaction score
Got a new chiller and am thinking about using a pump to recirculate water from a 5 gal bucket. Found a pump that does 3 gal per min. Anyone have experience w/ a pump and if so what capacity pump do you use?

I use a chugger pump and it does 7 gpm. A 3 gpm pump might be ok if you are doing 5 gallon batches.

Are you not able to hook your IC up to a kitchen faucet or garden hose? That would be easiest.

I live in an area where the tap water isn't very cold. I use a cheap submersible sump pump (from Home Depot) in the kitchen sink to cool. I run the first few gallons to my rain barrel on my front porch, and circulate ice water when it gets a bit cooler (dump the ice right in the sink). Can't remember what the pump cost, but it was the cheapest one they had. I also use the same pump to recirculate PBW through a PVC riser/shrub sprinkler head to clean my kegs (multitasker!).

Back