Using a Plate Chiller w/ Pellet Hops in the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
Will Pellet hops be an issue, or can I run boil straight through my plate chiller without somehow removing the hops from the wort first?

that is a good way to ruin your plate chiller. I would make it a goal to have as little grain husks and plant matter going through your pump and chiller as possible. I am sure there are ways to simply add pellet hops loose into your boil and recapture most or block it from ruining your chiller but I am not aware of any of them.

So what is the best way to use a plate chiller? use only leaf hops and muslin sacks??

I did my first brew using a plate chiller on Saturday, pellet hops in the grain bag that I used to use for smaller batches of BIAB (it has about 1mm square holes in it). I had no issues with the plate chiller blocking. After use I flushed, then back flushed a couple of times and not much hops came out.

Sounds good. I still am wondering why you can't simply run a pellet hops through the chiller and then flush/backflush? does anyone do this?

The plate chiller will clog if you use too many pellet hops in the boil without a way of filtering them. I use a hop spider for pellet hops and haven't had any issues with clogging.

Clogging is pretty common for plate chillers if you don't take the right precautions. In the past I've done a number of different things. The first was the hop spider. Worked great. The second was whirlpooling. I just used a sanitized spoon and really whipped it up and then let it settle to the bottom for 15 minutes or so. Hop matter and break material will settle to the middle of the kettle. Of course you'll need a diptube angling to the side of the kettle for this.

Figure out what works for you and your golden! I love the plate chiller.

I'm in this same boat and trying to avoid clogging the chiller. I'm considering two things:

- recirculating the hot wort back into the kettle until it runs reasonably clear. My dip tube runs straight down the center of the kettle underneath a false bottom.

- adding an additional, fine layer of stainless wire mesh on top of the existing false bottom.

I'm in this same boat and trying to avoid clogging the chiller. I'm considering two things:

- recirculating the hot wort back into the kettle until it runs reasonably clear. My dip tube runs straight down the center of the kettle underneath a false bottom.

- adding an additional, fine layer of stainless wire mesh on top of the existing false bottom.

I haven't tried it, but some people report the false bottom clogging with pellet hops. IMO, the best way to filter pellet hops is using a mesh bag.

I just used my plate chiller and pump for the first time. I used a hop spider for pellet hops, and had no clogging. After I finished chilling (which was super fast, btw. I almost couldn't believe the thermometer when I was chilling) I flushed with pbw through the pump and hoses, and then with cool water from the hose. Very little came out of the pump besides water. USe a hop bag. It's not too expensive and will save the headache.

I feel like I would like to be able to whirlpool and avoid using a bag. does anyone do this with pellet hops and not have any clogging problems? obviously using a bag/spider would not be terrible, just want to be able to use my chiller most efficeintly w/out clogging it up.

AndMan3030 said:
I feel like I would like to be able to whirlpool and avoid using a bag. does anyone do this with pellet hops and not have any clogging problems? obviously using a bag/spider would not be terrible, just want to be able to use my chiller most efficeintly w/out clogging it up.

I use a CFC rather than plate chiller, so take this FWIW, but I whirlpool and get no detectable hop matter in my bitter wort when it hits the fermenter. No clogs either.

Test it out and see if it works for you. I ghetto rigged a piece of thin copper piping to point to the outside of my kettle and then stirred the crap out of it for a minute. Let it settle for fifteen minutes and got a nice trub cone in the center. If you don't let it settle it doesn't work, at least not for me. While I was waiting I was sanitizing stuff and putting things away.

Thanks Inhouse. I plan on installing a similar 'side pickup' dip tube for whirlpooling/collectiing away from hop debris/trub. My first attempt last weekend was an utter failure. I used a stainless steel braid attached to a hose barb and a 90 degree street elbow on the inside of my BK. WORST PRODUCT EVER. this was supposed to strain any and all hops before exiting the BK. It clogged almost instantly. I ended up sticking my BK in the driveway to cool, which was OK since it was -7 out in MN. I see several folks have chimed in on this issue, so I will be sure to reply with my results.

Thanks!

I use a mesh hop "taco" Easy to build, and more importantly, easy to CLEAN

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/easy-inexpensive-kettle-hop-filter-taco-stopper-249996/

p1020132-48862.jpg

I use this mesh from McMaster

9241T42 1 Each Strainer Grade Wire Cloth, 304 Ss,40 X 40 Mesh,.0065" Wire Dia, 12"x 24"sheet

As I mention in the build thread I immediately drain the boil kettle once the heat is off, into a modified corny and that helps to minimize clogging the filter. I used to recirculate back to the kettle and over time, the filter would get clogged and the flow rate would slow down. Now I drain to the modified corny, and then hook that up to my pump and plate chiller and can recirculate without any fears of clogging the plate chiller

Well after brewing a Munich Dunkel with no problems, I tried chilling an EPA with far more pellet hops in the boil. Clogged right away. Building a hop-spider before my next brew session.

I have a special Alfa Laval plate chiller (AlfaNova, all in SS incl the brazing so it's not possible to dismantle it) that I've used for several years.

Before concluding to my current method I spent ages trying new methods just out of fear of clogging it.

The best method has been the combination of two separation technics plus a valve at the bottom of the BK.

Leafs: Hop Spider. Will be upgrading to a SS basket as well but right now that's what I use for leafs. This method however complicated Flame out additions.

Pellets: Whirlpool. Don't know what the maximum amount can be in me 8 gallon pot but I'm estimating around 100 g. The whirlpool technic will make you scream heureka if you haven't tried it out before. Great also for using flame out hops.

Normally I'll prefer whole hops/leafs for early additions and for FWH:ing and then I'll leave the pellet for aroma additions and for FO's.

I used to use a hop spider, but now I'm cocky and no longer use it and drop pellets directly in the boil.

No problems so far. Oh, but I've got a false bottom AND a bazooka screen over my dip tube.

I also pump (sanitized of course...that reminds me....I need to review my cleaning/sanitation process of the pump!) the wort through my plate chiller....so I could probably blast through small clogs.

Hop spider with nylon paint strainer bag for the hops, small march pump, and chillhog super 20 plate chiller = a dozen or more batches of 60ish degree wort straight into the carboy. No clogs yet and that includes two IPA's and two Pale Ale's one with over 9oz of pellet hops.

Just used my new hop spider. I built one with a SS sink flange and three 6" bolts. cost about 20 bucks (with 3 - 5 gallon paint strainer bags) and worked like a charm. the bags are so big I couldn't see a loss in utilization being an issue. wort flowed freely through my 40 plate chiller.

Back