Using a pasta maker to mill grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a fun project and a good exercise, but in the long run I decided to splash out for a product that works great every time and will last forever.

I'm the kind of guy who will build rather than buy, but there are those who have done the work to develop a great product, and sometimes my time is worth more than my money.

Oh, i agree... i am the same way, i had a great time building this, i will see how long it lasts.. And the best thing.. i have my $20.- worth out of it already jsut in convenience alone and bulk grain.
And i too would go for something tried and true, but for someone starting these things are great, when there is alot of stuff you need to buy all at once to get started.

How long did yours last? I think people building these (or thinking about it) would really want to know the longevity of these..

Thanks for the thread. Did my first AG brew today using this pasta maker device. A few suggestions for those reading:

1. (as said before) Mare up the rollers until it looks like it will hurt/cut you fingers when you run them across it. Had to take my rig apart to remare them because it was not pulling enough. Unfortunately you need to realy build a hopper first before you know if you are pulling enough.

2. Build your hoppers such that it covers the top sides of the pasta maker exposing only the rollers. The grain then has a direct drop.

3. Butt wood directly to the angled sides leading to on each roller. The net resolute of 2 & 3 is the pasta maker does not budge when milling, even when not secured with screws.

My original design for the sides was just cutting the pasta maker silhouette and mounting it that way. However when I had to remare, I was going to have to take the entire thing apart to get to the pasta maker out.

I then decided to use the harbor fright knock off mutli master tool to cut out the silhouette to a plain rectangle. Then unscrewed the wood bottom (used L brackets to connect sides to bottom), and the pasta maker just falls out.

I used a hammer drill for milling. This a high torque high RPM drill. However mine you can run at 1/4 trigger depth for a lower RPM. This drill went through 12.5# pounds in under 10 minutes (maybe 5) with lots of stopping because I pressed the trigger to hard. My cordless drill had was having issues pulling grain in comparison. My mill is big (probably can handle 20#), so the torque is offset by the rigs weight.

Might invest in a HF low speed drill but it costs 3 times as much as the pasta maker. :eek:

Well just have to say that I used my pasta mill for the first time tonight and I am a bit disappointed after all the success stories. First I mared the crap out of it or so I thought, running drill bit up and down it for a good 10-15 minutes. I build a hopper out of cardboard and set up a old refrigerater rack over a bucket.

First I used a drill and had the mill on the "4" setting and it seem to be letting a lot of whole grain through. So I set it down to a 3 and the crushed seemed good but it was a quite a time consuming process. I noticed a lot of metal shaving coming off the point where the drill was turning the roller, so I switched to hand cranking it. Noticed some misc whole grains making it through, but didn't think it was a big deal because I would mill it a second time.

Well after a while, don't know how long, I made it through and found that the spacing between the roller and the top part of the machine was letting whole pieces of grain through. I shook the mill after I was done and a quite a bit of grain was stuck in the machine.

I don't know if I'm ready to give up and just take the plunge for a barley crusher or not, guess I will sleep on in and see how I feel in the morning.

Noticed some misc whole grains making it through, but didn't think it was a big deal because I would mill it a second time.

I stuck some foam insulation between the metal angled pieces and the rollers to prevent this.

pictures of your roller?

i would guess it needs more abrasion... then use the tight setting and power with the drill. only have $24 to lose!

Yeah I am going to try and mare it up a bit more, but when using the drill there is metal shaving everywhere, which makes me nervous. Anyone else having this problem?

Where again are you seeing metal shavings? I've not seen a single metal shaving when using mine. I've done 3 batches with mine so far.

Where again are you seeing metal shavings? I've not seen a single metal shaving when using mine. I've done 3 batches with mine so far.

Where I am turning the roller with the drill. I put in the drill bit and it after a few seconds I am getting metal dusting right in the slot that you use to turn. Am I going to fast?

Probably WAY WAY to fast. Are you running the drill at full speed?

Probably WAY WAY to fast. Are you running the drill at full speed?

Not full speed, but fairly fast. Wasn't pulling very much so I was playing with the speed throughout. Also, what kind of bit are you using to turn it?

I think I am first going to knurl it up a bit more, then see how it feeds. Maybe I will trying using a cheaper Black and Decker Drill I have instead of the high powered Dewalt drill that way I won't be tempted to go as fast.

I use a ryobi cordless that has two speeds (gearing, I think) I use the slower one (number 1, I believe) and I go full speed.

I got some metal and plastic shavings out of the side hole one time during the middle of a grind. I thought it was a goner... but I have done 50 lbs of grain since then, no problem. The bit no longer comes out... (3/8 paddle, IIRC)

If you getting metal shavings when turning it with the drill....what kind of drill bit are you using? You want a spade bit, NOT a round bit:

Good:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/press_SpeedborSpadeBit.jpg

Bad:
http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture100/raylone/product1.jpg

I guess that it probably the more relevant question. It is actually a phillips head screwdriver attachment bit from something else. It was the only thing that would fit in the hole. The smallest spade bit I had was 1/2inch and it was too big. What size is your spade bit.

I use a ryobi cordless that has two speeds (gearing, I think) I use the slower one (number 1, I believe) and I go full speed.

I got some metal and plastic shavings out of the side hole one time during the middle of a grind. I thought it was a goner... but I have done 50 lbs of grain since then, no problem. The bit no longer comes out... (3/8 paddle, IIRC)

Thanks chef mike, should have checked you post before I replied.

I guess that it probably the more relevant question. It is actually a phillips head screwdriver attachment bit from something else. It was the only thing that would fit in the hole. The smallest spade bit I had was 1/2inch and it was too big. What size is your spade bit.

Haha, hell, I'm playing armchair quarterback....I've read through this entire thread even though I'm still an extract brewer.

I believe about 20 pages back though, someone confirmed chefmike's assertion of a 3/8" bit.

Well I am going to stick with it at least one more brew.

I am going to go get a 3/8 spade bit (hopefully that will solve my metal shavings problem.) Knurl the crap out of the rollers some more. Then find a way to get the top part covered so the grain doesn't drop straight through (possibly Styrofoam like another poster suggested).

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ran 23 pounds through this contraption and ran into a slight problem. On the side with the gears there is a hole by the roller. When milling, this roller goes back and worth some (note the mill gap is still constant). Net result:

1. Grains drops straight down.

2. Grain kicks into the side hole, fills up the side, and gets into the gearing.

The gears are solid and did not brake, but the grain in the side is dirty with grease.

If I could get the rollers out, placing a washer or two could probably cover the hole and prevent the wiggle in roller. Might just go with electrical tape weather striping.

Oh, i agree... i am the same way, i had a great time building this, i will see how long it lasts.. And the best thing.. i have my $20.- worth out of it already jsut in convenience alone and bulk grain.
And i too would go for something tried and true, but for someone starting these things are great, when there is alot of stuff you need to buy all at once to get started.

How long did yours last? I think people building these (or thinking about it) would really want to know the longevity of these..

I believe I got 3 batches out of it, and a headache each time. i'm happy for those that are having better luck, but the first time my wife helped me tamp grain through it while I wore out my arm and then my drill, she said "you should get one of those barley crushers you were talking about." I took her advice. :)

Being a chronic bargain shopper and tinkerer, I thought I would give one a shot. Bought an AMACO craft/pasta roller from Michaels. I dismantled it to put a knurl on the rollers and the rollers ARE NOT STAINLESS. A magnet will stick to it. They appear to be plated. I am going to try a knurl on it anyway this evening. I'll post pics if anyone is interested. It doesn't look like the roller pics in this thread are plated. Anybody else seen this?

I hope you are right and it is cheap stainless. No worries then! :rockin:

It just looks like it's been plated to me. I thought AMACO's might be different from what ya'll were using. If it's chrome, I'm sure it will show up pretty fast after I plunge the knurling tool into it. I'll throw up some pics tomorrow.

Yep, they were plated. Lots of shiny dust on the lathe. I guess I could have them re-plated, but chrome doesn't play well with sharp points. That would also triple the cost.

Do you guys think it's OK to just blow the rollers off and call it good or is anyone worried about a little bit of chrome?

2514077990067601745S600x600Q85.jpg

hexavalent chromium is the only toxic form I know about... should be OK health wise. Some forms of chromium are actually nutrients in small quantities. I'd mostly worry about reactive base metal dust in the mash... could give nasty off-flavors. maybe chew through a half pound on a fairly fine setting and throw it away just to clean it out. my Barley Crusher recommends doing this for the first use.

I can't believe I just now found this thread! I tried to read all of the posts, but 43 pages is just too much. So I'll just ask my dumb question now. What was the verdict on using a power drill for a motor? I watched an external video of a juicer, along with MOS' video of a shop motor, and everyone else up to that point seemed to be hand cracking. Is there some obvious reason a hand drill won't work that I'm not seeing? If so, what turned out to be the best power supply?

I've had a pasta maker floating between closets now for 3 years and I've never used it. This seems like a good tim to actually put some miles on it.

Thanks.

I have had my Pasta mill for 6 months or so and up till now it has worked okay. It took about 20 minutes to a half hour to mill a 12 lb. grain bill.
I recently took off my hopper and re-roughed up the rollers. I took a large (1/2"?) drill bit (the bullet style) and went crazy.
I just milled a 5 lb batch of grain in about 1 minute! It is putting significant drain on the drill, but it goes through like a champ!!
So, if you have made one of these, and are less than impressed with it's performance, rough up those rollers some more!! The rollers have deep gouges, that have lifted material to form a sort of "tooth" that really grabs the grain and goes.

I put one of these together a couple weeks ago. The results are pretty good, especially considering the cost involved. I was able to have the machining done for the low, low cost of nothing, through a friend of a friend. He suggested doing what he called a "straight knurl" that he had previously used in a commercial mill application. I've only used it once but I'm fairly impressed.

Pic's of the knurling and the crush...
http://picasaweb.google.com/McCheese352/Rollers#

Hit a new high with my pasta roller mill today. 83% and I was still taking it easy on the crush. I think I can press the high 80s with this thing without any problems at all.

I like that "straight knurl" there McChese.

Yeah since building it i've used it for 4 or 5 PM's and its been working really well, no mechanical failures to speak of. The only improvement I'm considering is motorizing it. I only need to crush a few pounds per batch, but its still kind of a PITA cranking it out by hand.

I have about 10 brews with my mill. When I mill the grain I have two options. Put it through once but it takes around 30 minutes for 8-10# or move the rollers a little further apart and do it twice. It takes half the time but it still isn't ideal. I need the rollers to be in between the two settings. Has anyone tried to get the rollers just right with the other side of the dial? I'd like to try but I don't know how to measure the opening and then find it on the dial. Any one elase have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks.

IMHO, if it is taking 30 minutes to mill 8-10#, your rollers aren't roughed up enough. I had a similar experience, and then roughed the hell out of the rollers and I can now mill a 8-10# grain bill in 3-5 minutes.

....roughed the hell out of the rollers ...

worth repeating! even w/ the rollers fully scarred, I've found a second pass through the mill is not a bad idea for a heavy crush?? If the mill is feeding slowly, your gap is either too tight, or the rollers don't have enough texture IMO.

Ok maybe I'll get the old drill out and try to rough it up again. Anyone find one way better than another to do that. Last time I ran a 3/8" drill over the rollers with them set as close together as they would go.

I would third the roughing idea as that is precisely what I experienced until I really roughed the living hell out of my rollers. I now use a gap of 5 and then tighten it to a gap of three for a ultra fine finish. I do 10-12 gallon batches so I put 26 lbs through it in around 30-35 mins. I take about five to seven pounds of the rougher crushed stuff and stick it aside before doing the second round on the rest which comes out extremely fine and fast (1 lb/20 seconds). When it comes to dumping the grains in, I like to put the rougher stuff in the bottom and then the fine stuff on top. Even though I am stirring it I like to think that it stratifies some of the grain and leaves some larger stuff on bottom to filter the finer floury stuff up top.

Like I said in the above post, I hit 83% the other day with this method which was the first time I cranked it down on the initial and secondary crush. I'll be doing the entire thing on a setting of 4 with a secondary crush of 3 next time round to see if I can press some more juice out of it.

Back