Using a Belgian Yeast for Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

Looking to do a fun little experiment with some hard cider. Using a local unfiltered cider, just a 3 gal. batch.

I am looking to put a twist on it and use a Belgian Pale Ale yeast, the Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale yeast. Here is a bit of data on it.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/yeast/yeastdetail.php?id=147

You can't find it on the wyeast site because it was a private collection and only sold once in a while. Luckily, I have a frozen yeast bank. I am thinking a Belgian yeast with slightly spicy and fruity phenolics will prove to be useful in a hard cider, especially if I ferment toward the lower end of the spectrum (63-65ish). Maybe throw in a touch of all spice and perhaps a pound or two of candi syrup or brown sugar or what not for good measure.

Just lookin to see what people think.

Thanks.
Kyle

hey everyone,

Looking to do a fun little experiment with some hard cider. Using a local unfiltered cider, just a 3 gal. batch.

I am looking to put a twist on it and use a Belgian Pale Ale yeast, the Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale yeast. Here is a bit of data on it.

http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/yeast/yeastdetail.php?id=147

You can't find it on the wyeast site because it was a private collection and only sold once in a while. Luckily, I have a frozen yeast bank. I am thinking a Belgian yeast with slightly spicy and fruity phenolics will prove to be useful in a hard cider, especially if I ferment toward the lower end of the spectrum (63-65ish). Maybe throw in a touch of all spice and perhaps a pound or two of candi syrup or brown sugar or what not for good measure.

Just lookin to see what people think.

Thanks.
Kyle

How'd this turn out?

Latest posts

Back