using a beer gun as a faucet on a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was sitting there looking at this "invention" called the "turbo tap" .. pretty cool I said, I should get one, and bam this thing is almost 400 dollars and it just connects to the faucet and pours beer into the glass from the bottom up.. then I look over at my extra beer gun and think, aren't they basically the same premise? So I think I have the right stuff to make my own "turbo tap".. anybody see why it wouldn't work or any complications? I know it will not be as fast but at least it will be a lot easier and kind of cool to have it.. any ideas to add on or a way of getting it to be awesome? Let me know!

The only issue i would think would be bad is the tip of the beer gun agitates the carbed beer a bit - one of the reasons why you need to fill bottles slowly (~5 PSI) with the beer gun. i would imagine that if you used a beer gun at normal kegerator pressures (10-14 PSI), you would have major foaming problems even when filling a pint glass.

Also, what is the advantage anyway? pouring a beer in 2 seconds instead of 10? (besides the cool factor)

but what do i know, give it a shot dude. and report back.

In my opinion the turbo tap is a gimmicky design for ball parks to fill 1000 plastic cups of half flat beer in five minutes. I recommend taking the 30 seconds with a nice forward sealing faucet to get a perfect pour of non-agitated bubbly beer.

In my opinion the turbo tap is a gimmicky design for ball parks to fill 1000 plastic cups of half flat beer in five minutes. I recommend taking the 30 seconds with a nice forward sealing faucet to get a perfect pour of non-agitated bubbly beer.

Hey now, I dunno about you losers but when I throw parties I definitely could benefit from being able to pour 1000 cups that fast. Ever heard of beer pong?! :fro: :drunk: :D i kid i kid :mug:

From the instruction manual for the Beer Gun:

"Note: it is normal to get a small leakage of CO2 at the gap where the beer tube passes through the hole in the brass elbow. This small clearance is needed to ensure smooth operation of the beer tube."

Unless you like wasting co2, a beer gun for a tap wouldn't be a good idea.

Yeah I knew there would be a few reasons why no one has done it yet, I might still give it a try and see what happends, couldn't be to hard to bring it back to normal if I fail miserably haha

From the instruction manual for the Beer Gun:

"Note: it is normal to get a small leakage of CO2 at the gap where the beer tube passes through the hole in the brass elbow. This small clearance is needed to ensure smooth operation of the beer tube."

Unless you like wasting co2, a beer gun for a tap wouldn't be a good idea.

If you were serving with it you wouldn't have the CO2 connected to the beer gun anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't see why you couldn't try it. It may produce an overly foamy beer, but maybe not. I'm inclined to think it would work pretty well unless you're pushing your beer at really high pressure.

If you were serving with it you wouldn't have the CO2 connected to the beer gun anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't see why you couldn't try it. It may produce an overly foamy beer, but maybe not. I'm inclined to think it would work pretty well unless you're pushing your beer at really high pressure.

Well if he is trying to serve beer fast like the turbo tap advertises he's gonna need to up the pressure quite a bit. Iirc the directions of the beer gun state not to go above 5-8 psi. My guess is at higher pressure (which will be needed for "faster" dispensing) the beer gun is going to leak. All that holds the beer back is a small rubber stopper.

That being said we as homebrewers naturally like to experiment so I also say do it! All in the name of science.

What are you trying to achieve here? Would a growler filler hose do what you're wanting? Just slip that in your tap.

Well i guess what I'm trying to do is make something that is normally expencive fairly cheap with things I already have in my home haha its one of my favorite pass times

Back