Using a bag in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappy11078

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I can use a muslin bag or any other bag inside my 10 gal cooler during the mash to make clean-up a little easier. I figure this would help filter during the mash out and when done, just pull out the bag instead of trying to pick up and dump the cooler. I'm not looking to do the BIAB method. Thanks

Without experimentation, there wouldn't be great beer!

Sounds like a good way to keep your sparge from getting stuck as well. I've heard it mentioned that BIAB folks double mill for better efficiency. Is that correct? I would assume if that's the case you should probably double mill it due to the bag. Someone correct me if that's off. I know I read that here someplace. :)

I found cleaning grains out of the bag to be more trouble than it's worth. I just slip a hefty bag over my 10 gallon round cooler and flip it upside down to get rid of most of the grain. Turn it on it's side, and hose it out to get rid of the rest.

I found cleaning grains out of the bag to be more trouble than it's worth. I just slip a hefty bag over my 10 gallon round cooler and flip it upside down to get rid of most of the grain. Turn it on it's side, and hose it out to get rid of the rest.

This. Hefty over mash tun is easier to me.

This. Hefty over mash tun is easier to me.

I do the same thing. I leave it uncovered overnight with the spigot turned on over the sink to both drain any remaining liquid in the tun and let it cool so the bag doesn't get too hot. Then knot the top and toss it in the trash, because it will STINK to high heaven once it goes sour.

I do the same thing. I leave it uncovered overnight with the spigot turned on over the sink to both drain any remaining liquid in the tun and let it cool so the bag doesn't get too hot. Then knot the top and toss it in the trash, because it will STINK to high heaven once it goes sour.
You don't have to wait. 168 degrees won't melt the hefty bag. My mash tun is clean before I hit a boil.

I use a paint strainer in 5 gallon cream can as a mash tun. It eliminated making a false bottom. Works great for up to 11 pounds. Not sure how a large cooler and heavy grain bed will act on a bag as longevity lifting it out with all that weight.

You don't have to wait. 168 degrees won't melt the hefty bag. My mash tun is clean before I hit a boil.

I don't doubt it but I had a very very very close call not long ago so I just let her sit, more to lower the weight than anything. One less thing to do during brewing and the thought of a break all over my kitchen floor is more than I can take.

Latest posts

Back