Using 6 gallons to brew 5 gallon recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knickspree

Reaction score
So I'm used to Coopers kits which are all 6 gallon kits, however now I'm on to recipes from my local brew shop which are only 5 gallon recipes. If I still make 6 gallons of beer with a 5 gallon recipe how will this impact my beer?

Beyond less content or alcohol per bottle beer is there anything else? My extract brewing method is using a standard brew kettle creating a wort that fills up most of my fermenter, then topping it off with water until it hits the 6 gallon mark or a little above.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It will not be as good. You're basically watering it down. Brew 5 gallons with the ingredients they give you, or scale up the recipe to do 6 gallons.

I disagree, the ones I've done have a much more smoother taste and finish, a lot better than having one or two heavy microbrews in a pub and being completely done since the content is so high.

If you want a lower gravity beer then buy a kit/make a recipe designed for that style. I agree with petrol, just taking a high gravity recipe and watering it down is not going to give you the best results. Recipes can be scaled to any size so you should not let that factor limit you.

Well I disagree, mainly I live in a remote area where everything has to shipped in by airplane so I have limited options on making brewing affordable and being able to make an adequate amount. My goal is to be able to brew 60 12 oz beers without paying a ton if money. So the results of brewing 6 gallons with 5 gallon recipes that are the only ones available at an affordable price has worked good for me. Good enough that I brought I had friend who is a very seasoned drinker describe it as "Awesome!"

I come on these forums and sometimes there is sound advice, while other times folks who are veteran brewers give advice that never works after following their instructions exactly. I may use alternative brewing methods that don't calculate the exact scientific proper measurement but it works. And that's the key in home brewing, sticking with what works and staying away from what doesn't really work or seem to matter regardless of how many experienced brewers recommend it.

Why did all the responses repeat everything I said in the question?

They said it won't be as good. They didn't go into detail, but you disagreed that it with them anyway. They're right--it won't be as good. The amount of water affects not just how much you get drunk, but also flavor and body. You'll have less of all three by watering it town. You're using 20% more water than needed. If negatively impacting the alcohol content, flavor, and body by 20% doesn't bother you, then keep doing it your way.

Just because you and your seasoned beer drinker friend like the taste doesn't mean its right. But that doesn't mean its wrong either. If you like your result go with it.

On a side note why did you even ask the questions if like pointed out you already have the answer? Yes they repeated what you posted because that's what your process causes but you clearly have other concerns you haven't mentioned or you wouldn't have posted in the first place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

The main problem in your response is "They said it won't be as good.." What is good beer? It's completely subjective based on the person. If you think every single detail needs to be carried out especially the amount of water for it to be as good as possible than that's your opinion. If you're on a budget because your limited with your resources so you brew more, get a smoother taste, and better finish...Then they're right, it won't be as good, it will be better...

Batt1, could it be that I asked a question to see if there was anymore information on a topic? Would that be possible?

Since most of my argument in his I brew is on cost, can you give me an extract recipe where I can get the materials I need and have it mailed and cost $50 or less...cause right now the cheapest I can do for a 5 gallon recipe with everything included and free shipping is $50...

Is it also possible that you like disagreeing with people? Because you've been given answers to your question but you would rather disagree and critique the answers rather than accept the information.

If you like the beer you're making keep doing it how you're doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Wow, this got contentious right quick. You asked what the effects of watering down a recipe would be. For some styles it may not be particularly noticeable, but I am sure there would be other beers that would come out thin, and just not be what was intended. So can it work - absolutely, as you seem to have already figured out for yourself. If you like the results then great, go with it. Feel free to ignore all these responses but it makes no sense to get upset with people trying to give you honest feedback.

As far as expense you end up paying for the amount of ingredients one way or another, whether you buy a more expensive kit and water it down or you buy the cheaper kit to begin with. You might be better off buying your ingredients separately in bulk. Are there hombrewers in your area you can hook up with for group buys?

Yeah group buys might be an option....have you tried Austin home brewer? They have cheap prices and a standard $6.99 shipping rate...

After reading the entire thread, I am yet another man to say "it won't be as good." Everyone just wants you to have the best experience possible, and no one associates that with making more beer VIA watering it down. Any beer is good beer, but we want you to have great beer.

If you're really trying to save money by brewing, why not piss in the fermenter to top it off? I mean...it probably won't be as good, but that's not the point, amirite?

Unlike you I don't like beer that tastes like piss, but if your beer tastes good after pissing in it, keep doing it your way!

I'm just blown away that even started a thread about this, and didn't even keep a open mind to what people could or did say. Next time just do what you want and don't waste people's time with arguing about something you have a answer too. Just my two cents.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

How much time did u waste writing that paragraph complaining about wasting time?

As much as someone would attempting to brew with zero regard for what the brew was meant to be im sure.

So many beers... so little time.

That's the response everyone has when they drink my beer..."Wooow..,,. "

That's the response everyone has when they drink my beer..."Wooow..,,. "

Then brew on man. If you like it and so does everyone else, then keep on brewing. Just remember this is a forum site of fellow brewers who just want to help. Not a debate site. Relax, and have a homebrew man.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

I think this whole thread was an intentional trolling... Or someone who doesn't realize that home brewing is about quality over quantity. Someone suggested buying some 40ouncers but a handle of vodka and water may be the best way to get that quantity he is looking for...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

So the best response to trolling is to continue to troll?

Cheers to you for living in a remote area and kicking out brews regardless of the inconvenience getting supplies! I just have to drive across town to get supplies and that can be a pain in the ass. If it works roll with it.

Cheff thanks! No one can really understand who live on the road system with their brew shop a block away....

Latest posts

Back