Used whiskey barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find used 5 gallon whiskey barrel? And how much could I expect to pay for one.

I don't believe you will find a 5 gallon whiskey barrel any commercial Distillery will be using something much larger and 5 gallons is much too small to be economically for any good distillery.

they're probably hard to find but you can get one for around $200 or less. (thats what i seen them go for)

Whiskey barrels pop up in this thread quite often. Just keep watching it.

Yeah, I was going to mention this guy as well. I think he gets them from a distillery in Madison, WI (Old Sugar Distillery) that ages in 5 gal barrels. First thing I thought when I toured was what they did with the old ones. I know originally they were doing mostly honey liquor and rum, but they've been putting out a sorghum whiskey just recently, so if you keep an eye on that thread you might be in luck.

Tuthilltown Spirits Barrels

They have 5 gallons with honey-comb inserts listed now, I have also seen 5 gallon barrels without the inserts (which is what I'd be more interested in, I think the honeycombs would just give wayyyyyy too much surface area). The non-honecomb variety were listed for about $120 I think.

I've never purchased anything from them so I can't vouch for them. I was going to but I've recently been promised a 5-gallon barrel from a small distillery here in Florida.

I don't believe you will find a 5 gallon whiskey barrel any commercial Distillery will be using something much larger and 5 gallons is much too small to be economically for any good distillery.

Actually a large number of craft/small batch distillers are using smaller barrels as the time for a product to mature is shortened with more liquid being in contact with the barrel.

eBay has some on there. You can even get a custom engraved one. I don't recall the price but they have a lot of different sizes.

Tuthilltown Spirits Barrels

They have 5 gallons with honey-comb inserts listed now, I have also seen 5 gallon barrels without the inserts (which is what I'd be more interested in, I think the honeycombs would just give wayyyyyy too much surface area). The non-honecomb variety were listed for about $120 I think.

I've never purchased anything from them so I can't vouch for them. I was going to but I've recently been promised a 5-gallon barrel from a small distillery here in Florida.

+1 to Tuthilltown spirts, I have 2 of their barrels and I love them. It does appear like the mostly use the honeycomb barrels now. I have just traditional barrels from them. They ship quickly and water tight, I would love to have more from them.

Chromados

I've gotten 5gallon barrels straight from Kings Country Distillery for $75. My coffee stout was awesome, just could have used more time in the barrel. I would start looking for nano distilleries and or other commercial distilleries around you. If not you could probably always get once shipped but I'm sure it'll cost you!

There is no such thing as a 5 gallon whiskey barrel. They are so large that you will basically need some kind of club / group brew to fill it. A bigger problem is that you must be careful where you buy such a barrel. The whiskey barrel must be very fresh, i.e., it must have had the whiskey recently removed. If the barrel dries out, the wood will shrink & leak and be useless for our purposes.

Mid-Country Malt Supply in St. Louis has been getting Jack Daniel barrels fresh from bottling, I forget for how much.....$225 sounds right (oak barrels this size aren't cheap, unless they've reached the end of their lifespan as barrels, been cut in half and used as planters). But that just takes you back to your original problem: how you gonna fill it?

There is no such thing as a 5 gallon whiskey barrel. They are so large that you will basically need some kind of club / group brew to fill it. A bigger problem is that you must be careful where you buy such a barrel. The whiskey barrel must be very fresh, i.e., it must have had the whiskey recently removed. If the barrel dries out, the wood will shrink & leak and be useless for our purposes.

Mid-Country Malt Supply in St. Louis has been getting Jack Daniel barrels fresh from bottling, I forget for how much.....$225 sounds right (oak barrels this size aren't cheap, unless they've reached the end of their lifespan as barrels, been cut in half and used as planters). But that just takes you back to your original problem: how you gonna fill it?

Not trying to be 'that guy', but you are wrong, there are indeed 5 gallon whiskey barrels. I'll agree that you're probably not going to find a 5 gallon whiskey barrel from a large nationally distributed whiskey distillery, but there are plenty of small regional distilleries that age their spirits in 5 gallon barrels.

We have sold at least 100 5 gallon Whiskey/Rum barrels, so they're out there. You can also find 10 and 15's once in a while!

Funny, UPS delivered a 5-gallon whisky barrel to me just yesterday. I got one from the recent batch at Adventures in Homebrewing. They got them from Balcones Distillery in Texas where it was used for their True Blue whisky. It was recently emptied and hasn't shrunk. I'll be racking an Imperial Black RyePA into it this weekend. I need to find out how much time I have with it empty before it will start to dry out. If I can't keep it filled regularly enough I think I'll offer it up to some other local brewers to use in the interim. :mug:

funny, ups delivered a 5-gallon whisky barrel to me just yesterday. I got one from the recent batch at adventures in homebrewing. They got them from balcones distillery in texas where it was used for their true blue whisky. It was recently emptied and hasn't shrunk. I'll be racking an imperial black ryepa into it this weekend. I need to find out how much time i have with it empty before it will start to dry out. If i can't keep it filled regularly enough i think i'll offer it up to some other local brewers to use in the interim. :mug:

ok, i officially get it. I admit it. I take it back. There are 5 gallon whisky barrels. There have always been 5 gallon whisky barrels, not only in this universe, but in every universe that could be conceived of in any hilbert space. Just stop posting about them, fill them with @#$$#$%$ beer, and get on with it!

Back