Used too much priming sugar for bottling??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
I just bottled an ipa (6.2% nothing intense) and it turned out to be about 3.5 gallons when it was finally bottled. Problem is I used 5 Oz of table sugar to prime with (dissolved in 2 cups of water and mixed into the bottling bucket before racking into bottles). Is this going to over carbonate the bottles? I used 18 22 Oz bottles and 4 12oz bottles.

You may have bottle bombs,

There are a couple choices.

Rubbermaid containers with lids - makes clean-up easier.

Pour it back into the fermentor and wait a week (re-sterilize it all first.)

....dump it.

Try refrigerating it - it will possibly still pop and make a mess in your 'fridge.

Read this: My Crash Test Dummy

:)

Ok dumb question then, if it is a bottle bomb, does that mean it will shatter the glass or just blow off the lid? If It's just the lid I can out it in a ziplock for containment. Regardless, the name of the beer is hop bomb (in light of potential bottle bombs haha)

Ok dumb question then, if it is a bottle bomb, does that mean it will shatter the glass or just blow off the lid? If It's just the lid I can out it in a ziplock for containment. Regardless, the name of the beer is hop bomb (in light of potential bottle bombs haha)
the caps can pop off and the glass can shatter. The previous tip on the container is both to prevent a mess and for safety

I don't recommend dumping or pouring it back into a fermenter. Pouring it back will oxidize your beer and ruin it. Just keep it in a container and when carbonated, refrigerate all bottles to slow the yeast down. You won't want to keep these at room temp after they're carbonated.

What about waiting a week and then pop the cap off one bottle and see if it relieves any pressure. If it does then uncap and recap all the bottles. This will relieve some of the excess pressure. If there is no built up pressure after one week, check again at two weeks. I would definitely take precaution to the potential of bottle bombs tho. I haven't tried this before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Back