used sparge arm (craigslist woes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Bought some all grain stuff from a guy through craigslist. I'm an all grain newb. I didn't notice the "shower head" piece was missing from my sparge arm until i was checking out some pics of sparge arms on HB sites. Set it all up and took this pic:

mlt.jpg

Straight stream of water. Would put a single hole straight into the grain. Is this "shower head" something I can buy at a hardware store or from a HB site?

And secondly, what do you think of that manifold? It is a metal screen cylinder thing. Looks good. But would I benefit from buying a false screen? It is it a 10 gal cooler. 12 inch false bottom right?

I can only comment on the screen. I have one just about like that in my cooler MLTs. You can use SS hose clamps and a stainless steel toilet supply line. Cut the ends off and slip the braid off the supply line. You just need to make sure it is SS and not metal looking plastic. I have not had any issues with my braids.

Can you give us a better pic of the fittings where the shower head would connect? Can't tell from this pic, but if the threads are right, yes, you can get the shower head at a local hardware store.

The manifold looks fine. It's all I use, and no problems so far. Also, if you're not set on fly sparging, you and skip the shower head all together and just batch sparge.

Whatever route you go, good luck, and welcome to AG brewing.

Thanks for replies.

@ I_B_Mongo. I'll have to look into the batch sparge. I was under the impression I needed the "shower head" part either way. But ya I dont know much yet I'll keep reading :)

No problem. I've never tried a fly sparge, but I've been very happy with batch sparging. Plenty of threads on it here, as well as Palmer's, How to Brew.

Back