Used kegs v new kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomexicanusophile

Reaction score
First post on this site. I am new to brewing and will be brewing my fourth batch tomorrow; my third batch, a Shiner Bock clone extract, has been lagering in a Kegerator for two weeks. I'm interested in kegging, perhaps starting with the bock, as the kegerator came with a Co2 tank. My local home brew shop has used corny kegs and new ones for about $50 more. Is it worth it to invest in a new keg? Will I just end up having to buy a bunch of parts for the used one that will cancel out any savings from not going with the new one?

This is sure to be the first of many questions, and forgive me if this has been discussed elswhere.

They both have their own pros and cons...

New Pros:
1) Don't have to worry if it holds pressure
2) Don't have to worry what was in it before and it is was cleaned correctly
3) You know exactly what you are getting (there are a lot of older style kegs and parts aren't always interchangeable)
4) Shiny

New Cons:
1) Expensive
2) Depending on the brand, might be cheaply made

Old Pros:
1) A lot cheaper

Old Cons:
1) May need work to hold pressure (can also pressure test before buying)
2) May not be clean inside (not hard to do, just annoying sometimes)

With all that said, there is nothing wrong with used. All of mine are used. A few did need some work to hold pressure and one needed a deep clean (PBW soak and acid rinse). With used, I replace all o-rings even if the store replaced them before selling it. O-rings are super cheap. You can get 50 or 100 on McMaster for $10 or so for the dip tube o-rings and I think you get 10 lid o-rings for about the same (maybe $15). So even buying all those o-rings and a used keg, it will still be cheaper than buying a new one, plus now you have a lot of extra o-rings for any other used kegs you buy.

Check with your LHBS to see if they have been pressure tested and cleaned. If so, go used. If they haven't been pressure tested, I'd see if they could test it before buying it. If not, I wouldn't buy it. You can get them online too. A few sites sell pressure tested and cleaned ones. I've bought some from More Beer and Adventures in Homebrewing and they both work just fine.

Used all the way. There's a sale on used ball lock kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew

The price is almost a 2:1 difference. Like h22lude, all of mine are used. I bought three just recently. $39 each is hard to beat.

EDIT: You can add reseal kits to your order to make it even easier. I don't know about Austin, but the seal kits from Adventures have the thicker white Oring for the lid.

I have bought many used kegs and only one new one (on sale from AHB). As long as the used ones hold pressure, I would definitely go used. That way you can buy more of them. Once you get one or two, you will see that they are like mushrooms and will rapidly multiply. I'm up to 12 five gallon, 2 three gallon and 2 two and a half gallon kegs.

Thank you all, very helpful. I got an email from Austin Homebrew about their $39 used keg sale after I posted my question. I think I'll buy a couple of them.
Once you get one or two, you will see that they are like mushrooms and will rapidly multiply.
I think that describes my homebrewing equipment in general even though I'm just a couple of months in.

Over the past year, I've been retiring my old, used kegs and replacing them with the tall, narrow Torpedo kegs from B3.

There's nothing functionally wrong with my old kegs and they've served me reliably for a long time. Over the years, though, I managed to assemble a motley collection of manufacturers including a few different Firestones. Some were converted from pin to ball, some are short and wide, others are tall and narrow. None of them seem to use the same posts and poppets as any of the others, so performing maintenance on them is usually more hassle than I'd like. Worst of all, some of the parts are getting expensive and difficult to find.

I'll be the first to admit that swapping out my kegs for a new standardized lineup of kegs is unnecessary and more than a bit profligate. I'm glad I'm doing it, though. It's great not having to jockey differently sized kegs around while trying to find the correct configuration to make them fit in the keezer. I don't have to test fit everything three times, nor do I have to waste time tracking down oddball parts and finding out that I've wasted money ordering the wrong #(%*@ part....again.

What I'm doing is kinda dumb and certainly wasteful, but it's putting the focus back on the enjoyment of brewing. Also, it'll allow me the opportunity to help some new brewers by finding my old kegs some new homes.

If you're going to buy used, I'd suggest buying from a reputable company (AIH and AHB fit that bill) especially if you're new to the hobby. I've purchased used kegs from private sellers (CraigsList) and have been burned. The keg held pressure and looked clean but smelled a little funky. Not uncommon when buying used. When I got it home and did a closer inspection, I discovered what looked to be a mouse nest that was on the inside lip. My guess is the keg was stored inverted and open - a perfect place for a furry friend to build a nest. Some people say "hey, it's stainless, just clean it and go". I'm not one of those people. I crushed it and tossed it in the recycle bin.

I've heard others find used kegs that stored everything from paint to gasoline. You just don't know it's history. Buying from a reputable vendor lessens this chance but does not eliminate it. I'm also sure if something was found, they would likely make it right, on their dime.

I'm just as frugal as most other homebrewers, but for me, I now spend the additional $40 and get brand new kegs. AIH often has sales for their new kegs for $75. Actually they're having a sale now. I own several of these and they are good kegs. New. Clean. NSF Certified. My justification is if I bought a used keg and it spoils 1 batch, I'm out $30 and hours of my time. Or if a used keg has a CO2 leak, I'm out $30 when it drains my CO2 tank. ROI is quick in those examples. Buy once, cry once.

I also have the "high end" AEB kegs made in Italy. These are great kegs too, but the AIH kegs work just as well IMO.

~HopSing.

I reuse commercial kegs , I just keep them after buying full of something i want to try. The deposit is $30. I built my own tools to remove the Sankey spear and clean up is very simple and reassembly is accomplished with the same tools. its like money in the bank I can return whenever and get back my deposit.

Over the past year, I've been retiring my old, used kegs and replacing them with the tall, narrow Torpedo kegs from B3.

There's nothing functionally wrong with my old kegs and they've served me reliably for a long time. Over the years, though, I managed to assemble a motley collection of manufacturers including a few different Firestones. Some were converted from pin to ball, some are short and wide, others are tall and narrow. None of them seem to use the same posts and poppets as any of the others, so performing maintenance on them is usually more hassle than I'd like. Worst of all, some of the parts are getting expensive and difficult to find.

I'll be the first to admit that swapping out my kegs for a new standardized lineup of kegs is unnecessary and more than a bit profligate. I'm glad I'm doing it, though. It's great not having to jockey differently sized kegs around while trying to find the correct configuration to make them fit in the keezer. I don't have to test fit everything three times, nor do I have to waste time tracking down oddball parts and finding out that I've wasted money ordering the wrong #(%*@ part....again.

What I'm doing is kinda dumb and certainly wasteful, but it's putting the focus back on the enjoyment of brewing. Also, it'll allow me the opportunity to help some new brewers by finding my old kegs some new homes.

I've gone back and forth about this myself. Most of mine are regular cornelius but I have a few older firestones and john woods. I hate those. My OCD just wants to sell all my used and start buying new. Just have so many other, higher priority, brewing purchases I want to make first.

I have bought 2 4 packs of used kegs from Austin Homebrew over the years and have acquired more looking on Craigslist.

I recently bought o rings on amazon cheap, 20 sets For like $20 bucks. I only have used ones and for the most part I haven’t had any issues with them.

And as @pvpeacock said they will multiply I have 20 kegs in rotation now and another 7 that are going to my son once he moves into his new house. I suggest keeping an eye out on Craigslist I’ve gotten a few free and others super cheap.

If you're going to buy used, I'd suggest buying from a reputable company (AIH and AHB fit that bill) especially if you're new to the hobby. I've purchased used kegs from private sellers (CraigsList) and have been burned. The keg held pressure and looked clean but smelled a little funky. Not uncommon when buying used. When I got it home and did a closer inspection, I discovered what looked to be a mouse nest that was on the inside lip. My guess is the keg was stored inverted and open - a perfect place for a furry friend to build a nest. Some people say "hey, it's stainless, just clean it and go". I'm not one of those people. I crushed it and tossed it in the recycle bin.

I've heard others find used kegs that stored everything from paint to gasoline. You just don't know it's history. Buying from a reputable vendor lessens this chance but does not eliminate it. I'm also sure if something was found, they would likely make it right, on their dime.

I'm just as frugal as most other homebrewers, but for me, I now spend the additional $40 and get brand new kegs. AIH often has sales for their new kegs for $75. Actually they're having a sale now. I own several of these and they are good kegs. New. Clean. NSF Certified. My justification is if I bought a used keg and it spoils 1 batch, I'm out $30 and hours of my time. Or if a used keg has a CO2 leak, I'm out $30 when it drains my CO2 tank. ROI is quick in those examples. Buy once, cry once.

I also have the "high end" AEB kegs made in Italy. These are great kegs too, but the AIH kegs work just as well IMO.

~HopSing.
Well, that's sad! Sounds more like a commercial than an objective report..... I've had 4 used kegs from a variety of sources for more than 11 years of home brewing and they still work fine. I believe the secret (if there is one) is basic cleaning and sterilizing plus regular stripping down, replacing O-rings, etc. The whole idea of used kegs is a gift for those of us who are trying to keep down the cost per glass of homebrew. Thank you to the suppliers.

I bought 2 used corny kegs from obk and while both hold pressure, one of the kegs has a broken lid lever and the lid hangs loose on it. I told obk and they said they basically didn’t care as it didn’t make the seal. Still annoying when your filling a keg with one hand and want to seal it while filling the rest of the fermenter into other containers. The cost of a new lid put me into the cost of a new keg.. just going to buy new next time.

I reuse commercial kegs , I just keep them after buying full of something i want to try. The deposit is $30. I built my own tools to remove the Sankey spear and clean up is very simple and reassembly is accomplished with the same tools. its like money in the bank I can return whenever and get back my deposit.
This does not feel right to me. I would encourage you to reconsider the manner in which you acquire your kegs, and return the kegs that you are currently using to their rightful owners (the breweries that paid for them).

This does not feel right to me. I would encourage you to reconsider the manner in which you acquire your kegs, and return the kegs that you are currently using to their rightful owners (the breweries that paid for them).

I'll second that.

It used to be a capital offence in homebrewing circles to acquire kegs that others have paid for. Perhaps things have changed? I doubt it.

1. Myself and many others would consider that a shady practice and urge you to return those as you finish them and get your own kegs for homebrew.

2. You don't need any special tools to remove a sanke spear, just a pair of pliers and either a flathead screwdriver or a small pick. To disassemble the spear you can make a tool with a PVC cross fitting. I do prefer sanke kegs over corny kegs for homebrewing, and all my sanke kegs I've purchased from various sources.

I just bought my first new keg this week after having 3 used one for several years. My two complaints about the used ones are that I did have to replace some of the hardware. Maybe a total of $40 over the years.

My other issue is that I bought one and the rubber of the handles literally just comes off like paint. My hands (and whatever else touches it) end up black. It is very frustrating and I don't know of a fix.

My other issue is that I bought one and the rubber of the handles literally just comes off like paint. My hands (and whatever else touches it) end up black. It is very frustrating and I don't know of a fix.

damn, you must drink even more then me if your pores are secreting enough ethanol to dissolve a keg handle! ;) what kind of used kegs were these again?

damn, you must drink even more then me if your pores are secreting enough ethanol to dissolve a keg handle! ;) what kind of used kegs were these again?
lol, its real rough with the paint too.

But its a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny keg. I got it for Christmas one year from some online sale. I figured it was like $40 and I wanted a smaller keg for when I traveled, but then with this issue I just haven't used it. (it also has some issues with its posts but thats pretty easy to fix obviously)

lol, its real rough with the paint too.

But its a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny keg. I got it for Christmas one year from some online sale. I figured it was like $40 and I wanted a smaller keg for when I traveled, but then with this issue I just haven't used it. (it also has some issues with its posts but thats pretty easy to fix obviously)

i got one that the rubber handle is coming half off the metal...but never heard of one dissolving....

is there a brand stamp on it, so i can try to avoid one in the future. if i ever need another keg?

It's still a common practice for spent kegs to be accumulated in an outdoor space under the sun where they might sit for a week or more before they were collected by the distributors. Not a big deal for Sankes, but back when corny's were still used for soda the rubbers would suffer from the UV exposure, and heavily oxidized rubbers will shed because they're so dried out the compound simply loses integrity.

One of my 16 kegs is an obvious sufferer of the syndrome. I've read of all kinds of treatments folks have tried but I just live with that one and try not to bump or drag it around lest it leave a streak...

Cheers!

It's still a common practice for spent kegs to be accumulated in an outdoor space under the sun where they might sit for a week or more before they were collected by the distributors. Not a big deal for Sankes, but back when corny's were still used for soda the rubbers would suffer from the UV exposure, and heavily oxidized rubbers will shed because they're so dried out the compound simply loses integrity.

One of my 16 kegs is an obvious sufferer of the syndrome. I've read of all kinds of treatments folks have tried but I just live with that one and try not to bump or drag it around lest it leave a streak...

Cheers!

so sunlight's not just bad for hops....keg handles too! i gotta try and keep mine full harder to keep them in the fridge and out of the light.....

Correct, it is UV degradation of the rubber from sunlight. The handles are typically vulcanized EPDM rubber. The black you are getting on your hands is carbon black plus the other components of molded rubber and fillers such as kaolin clay. It would be the same as if you were rubbing weatherseals on your car with your hands, it will come off. If it bothers you, take a non-scratching type Scotch-Bright pad (there are two types, use the non-scratching ones) scrub the rubber down with soapy water and wipe it with a rubber protectant like Armour-All. It won't stop it from happening again, but will reduce the shedding for a while.

Last edited:
1. Myself and many others would consider that a shady practice and urge you to return those as you finish them and get your own kegs for homebrew.

2. You don't need any special tools to remove a sanke spear, just a pair of pliers and either a flathead screwdriver or a small pick. To disassemble the spear you can make a tool with a PVC cross fitting. I do prefer sanke kegs over corny kegs for homebrewing, and all my sanke kegs I've purchased from various sources.
I found that my dist supplier does not care as long as he has his deposit. true I do not own the keg and to sell it would be illegal. but the deposit is like long term rent.
As for tools, yeah I used pliers at first but quickly found a press tool makes it sooo easy. no need to depressurize beforehand. the tool takes tension off of the snap ring, then gently lets the spear rise and vent. TOO Simple.

In all the years I've been doing this, I've only ever bought used kegs. I don't care what the outside looks like. Use the money you saved to buy some poppets and Orings and you'll be in operation for a long time.

I have no shame, because I also buy used sanke kegs on craigslist. :^)

In all the years I've been doing this, I've only ever bought used kegs. I don't care what the outside looks like. Use the money you saved to buy some poppets and Orings and you'll be in operation for a long time.

I have no shame, because I also buy used sanke kegs on craigslist. :^)
I too have a couple of ball lock kegs, my kegerator will hold 2 Sankey and 1 corny. I find the Sankey so much easier to use. I have a fellow that works at a small craft brewer that says they came up with a system that washes Sankey's without taking apart. Uses Iodophor if I remember right.
they turn them upside down and hook up through a Connector and push with a 1/2hp pump, drains out the Co2 port. Not that I am recommending it, just informational.
OHH, by the way. you know that it's not legal to buy kegs,,,,,just saying LOL

The larger breweries likely pay around $50 each for the kegs new (Not saying I agree with keeping them) but we've bought brand new kegs for as little as $65 each for our brewpub..

The larger breweries likely pay around $50 each for the kegs new (Not saying I agree with keeping them) but we've bought brand new kegs for as little as $65 each for our brewpub..
thats great to know, at that price I fail to understand why anybody would mess with a Corny. IMO

I too have a couple of ball lock kegs, my kegerator will hold 2 Sankey and 1 corny. I find the Sankey so much easier to use. I have a fellow that works at a small craft brewer that says they came up with a system that washes Sankey's without taking apart. Uses Iodophor if I remember right.
they turn them upside down and hook up through a Connector and push with a 1/2hp pump, drains out the Co2 port. Not that I am recommending it, just informational.
OHH, by the way. you know that it's not legal to buy kegs,,,,,just saying LOL

I have a sanke coupler with back flow preventer balls removed for cleaning. Just hook up a garden hose and set it on cinder blocks upside down....

The most I've ever paid for a sanke on craigslist is $30. Most people just want them out of their garage. Considering the times were living in, I doubt I'm going to get swept up in a Keg Sting.....

i got one that the rubber handle is coming half off the metal...but never heard of one dissolving....

is there a brand stamp on it, so i can try to avoid one in the future. if i ever need another keg?
If you ever have a rubber handle or base falling off, I recommend using this to fix it. I bought a bunch of "loose handle" kegs on sale and this worked wonders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063X38M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3M.jpg

I have a sanke coupler with back flow preventer balls removed for cleaning. Just hook up a garden hose and set it on cinder blocks upside down....

The most I've ever paid for a sanke on craigslist is $30. Most people just want them out of their garage. Considering the times were living in, I doubt I'm going to get swept up in a Keg Sting.....
$30 is what my deposits are,,,,and if I need to I can get that back anytime

[/QUOTE
You know this is dishonest whether you take them back at some point or not. Regardless, my gut says that you never have taken any back. Ever.

$30 is what my deposits are,,,,and if I need to I can get that back anytime

Last time I got a keg the deposit was $100... When I worked in a restaurant 25 years ago the distributor keg deposit was more than $30.

You would be wrong, I am picky about the ones I use. I like the Microstar. I take the others back. also please explain to me how paying a deposit and getting it back is dishonest? with all the rules for getting kegs these days , I keep the receipts.
Wow, $100 for a small or any keg,,,,,,I do have to pay $55 deposit for some. depends on the beer inside. I attached a pict of my homemade tool

View attachment 691855View attachment 691855

Last time I got a keg the deposit was $100... When I worked in a restaurant 25 years ago the distributor keg deposit was more than $30.
It dropped back down.. the crazy high deposit rule did not have the desired effect they were going for.. people were returning the kegs but fewer were buying them too so they reverted to older deposit prices. To be fair one reason we dont currently sell kegs of beer is I hear stories from other small breweries how long it sometimes it takes to get their kegs back and how they are sometimes forced to buy more in the mean time.

Last edited:
It dropped back down.. the crazy high deposit rule did not have the desired effect they were going for.. people were returning the kegs but fewer were buying them too so they reverted to older deposit prices. To be fair one reason we dont currently sell kegs of beer is I hear stories from other small breweries how long it sometimes it takes to get their kegs back and how they are sometimes forced to buy more in the mean time.
I do understand,,,,budget budget

Back