Used Kegs - Cleaned with Bleach (ooooooops) Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohovie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I realized today that I made a big rookie mistake yesterday. I was cleaning out two used kegs and used a diluted bleach solution to clean them and I also left the solution in over night (approx 16-20
hours).

After reading online today, I realized my mistake and immediately dumped the bleach out and rinsed with water then cleaned with two different types of sanitizer (oxy-san and aseptox). After rinsing again, I inspected the kegs for any damage or discolouration. I find nothing at the bottom of the kegs other than a couple little marks (they could have been there before?!?) and the posts and poppets had a little minor yellow film surface rust that cleaned right off with the rinsing. The liquid dip tube had also has a little yellow stain on it that I can’t get off (picture attached). I have also attached a picture of both keg bottoms.

I don’t think I have any damage I should be concerned about, or should I be looking for something? Are these kegs okay still? Should I be cleaning with something else because of what I did?

Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate the help and feedback. I feel so stupid, should have consulted here first.
IMG_3325.jpg
IMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3328.jpg

The kegs will be fine (and sparkling clean! :D)
Such a short exposure with a presumably weak solution isn't going to do any actual harm...

Cheers!

Yea, rinsing with beach works great. I don't recommend it, but in the case of infected beers (or sours) it's a pretty good idea (go nuclear!).

Leaving bleach (especially full strength) in there for more than a day will be a problem. I did it and ended up with a hole in the bottom of my keg, and a dip tube that had the last 1/2" eaten away. I like to learn things the hard way I guess.

Hole in bottom of cornie keg due to bleach

Latest posts

Back