Used Corny - preferred brand/model?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Reaction score
I've decided to get a 2-keg system for my next brews.
Luckily, I'm w/in easy driving of a retailer of keg products, so I plan to drive over and pick out my kegs rather than mailing them.

Are certain used Cory's preferable to others? Here's NB's poppet valve descriptions. Are the Type A the newest/best? Please let me know, and I'll pick out what I can.

Type A - Firestone V, VI, Challenger and Super Challenger kegs.
Type B - Cornelius Spartan, Super Champion and 'R' kegs
Type C - John Wood 85 and older Firestone Challenger kegs.

Thanks

Type C are all older. A and B are more different vendors than different ages. I have around 25 kegs and 20ish of them are Cornelius Spartan, the others are Firestone V or VI.

If you have a choice, get all one type. Cornelius are more common than Firestone IME but Firestone poppets are cheaper. I would drive down, eyeball the selection, and pick from the type from which your vendor has the most "good" examples. Then in the future try to expand from the same model so you don't have to keep multiple spare poppets and release valves on hand.

Back