Used Aluminum Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModernTimes

Reaction score
I am about to dive head first into the world of home brewing. An acquaintance of mine gave me his used Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot that has been used for frying turkeys. Would anyone advise against using that pot for boiling wort? Is there a risk of adding unwanted flavors to the wort?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Modern Times

Clean it well, clean it again, then sanitize it. I used my old turkey fryer many moons ago to brew with absolutely no issues.

You don't have to sanitize it, just wash it with soap and water to make sure all the oil and grease are out of it. If you used a scrubby on it, boil some water in it before you brew.

I use a turkey fryer as well. I did have to scrub the crap off because it wasn't cleaned very well when last it was used and it sat in my dads shed for a few years. It was aluminum and after I scrubbed and rinsed it, I boiled a full pot of water in it. Now it is nothing but a brew pot and it works great

Be sure to rinse VERY well if using soap. Multiple times. The soap residue, as in using it to wash bottles, is tenacious. I'd get use some Oxyclean or TSP. TSP is a great grease cutter. Just don't let it sit in there long. Then rinse very well. You'll be good to go.

As onthekeg said.. you don't need to sanitize as the boiling wort will do that job.

I still use an aluminum turkey fryer BIAB alongside my keggle system almost every brewday to make small beers & second runnings. When mine was donated to me, it came completely encased in oil that was about 5 or 6 years old. It was completely NASTY!!!! But i cleaned it real well & put er' to use.

Many people use them they are economical and work. Personally i stay away from aluminum and plastic although i use a plastic bottleing bucket.Im starting to feel uneasy about using my large nylon bag for BIAG, been considering getting an organic cotton bag. I dont cook with aluminum so im probably not comfortable with brewing with it, I use some cheap thin stainless steel pots from a dollar store i found and a plastic bucket from home depot for a bottle bucket.No problems.
Use some baking soda and a neutral fragrance free soap.You can also use Pbw or other pot/pan cleaners for homebrewing. I exclusively rinse well and soak with baking soda hot water and sometimes use dye/fragrance free natural soaps. Good luck in the diving head first part. Dont use fruity smelly soaps for plastic buckets though, i dont see a problem for pots pans as long as you rinse, and i usually always rinse everything thouroughly immediatlly after i use them that way you dont have to use harsh cleaners.

i am using my turkey fryer as my brew kettle. works well just make sure you clean it well when your done. I use some dawn dish soap to cut threw the oil and clean it. I rinse it well and then use some star san on it. Then i boiled water in it to build up the oxidation coating on it and its good to go. got 3 brews on it so far

If you're usin' it for the first time... boil a lot of water in it for about 30 to 40 minutes to "season" it. It will then turn blackish gray on the inside. Do not scrub this layer off. Leave it there and only wash with a very light detergent and a soft rag.

I use an aluminum turkey fryer too... no problems.

Gary

Back