Use tube to drain wort to brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmg

Reaction score
I read a comment on /r/homebrewing today saying that it's advisable to use a tube to drain pre-boil wort to a kettle to minimize oxidation. My understanding is that oxidation is not a concern pre-fermentation, but the user asserted that it is, indeed a concern for pre-boil wort (but is ok and recommended post-boil and pre-fermentation, which I already knew). Can someone confirm this either way?

It's called hot side aeration (HSA), and I believe the consensus is that it's not really a concern on the homebrewing scale.

It's called Hot Side Aeration (HSA) and it's a debatable topic. Some say it will lead to oxidation and stability problems in the beer and others say it's a complete myth. I dump my collected wort from a bucket to my boil kettle and I've never noticed any issues. I haven't read a lot about it but I'm sure you can Google "hot side aeration" and get a bunch of info. I think there was an episode of Brew Strong completely about it, but I haven't listened to it.

Back