Use of UPS for Beverage Center

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's normally a bad idea to use an extension cord for a fridge or freezer. Why? Really 2 reasons. Most extension cord wire is not thick enough to handle the "load" pulled by the fridge or freezer. Another reason, resistance in the extension cord, the electric company faces this problem with electric wires feeding our homes (this is why there are transformers on the poles), causes the fridge or freezer to be under supplied in the volts/watts they desire.

OK. Now that I've got that out of the way, I've been trying to fix the problem I have with my Danby beverage center. Posted the problems at homebrewtalk. If I lose power, the Danby beverage center resets itself to 54F. Not good at all for fermenting or lagering.

Is it OK to use a UPS with a beverage center? My thoughts? Brief loss of power will NOT reset the temp to 54F. I looked at rewiring the Danby temp control, but it's probably easier to fly to Mars.

Input?

Thanks.

I have one of the larger consumer UPS units (1.5KVA) for my workstation and drive arrays but I'm not so sure it could spin up a compressor.

Have you considered bypassing the internal thermostat and running the beverage center using something like an STC-1000?

Cheers!

I think an appropriately sized UPC would be fine, but an inkbird would be cheaper and my ITC 308 holds the last programmed temp when unplugged and plugged back in. No help for a long term outage, but that doesn't sound like what you are dealing with.

I know it's normally a bad idea to use an extension cord for a fridge or freezer. Why? Really 2 reasons. Most extension cord wire is not thick enough to handle the "load" pulled by the fridge or freezer. Another reason, resistance in the extension cord, the electric company faces this problem with electric wires feeding our homes (this is why there are transformers on the poles), causes the fridge or freezer to be under supplied in the volts/watts they desire.

OK. Now that I've got that out of the way, I've been trying to fix the problem I have with my Danby beverage center. Posted the problems at homebrewtalk. If I lose power, the Danby beverage center resets itself to 54F. Not good at all for fermenting or lagering.

Is it OK to use a UPS with a beverage center? My thoughts? Brief loss of power will NOT reset the temp to 54F. I looked at rewiring the Danby temp control, but it's probably easier to fly to Mars.

Input?

Thanks.

Your first paragraph is confusing to me, sounds wrong and should probably be deleted. The transformers are on the poles because the typical distribution is 12.47kv and your house uses a different voltage which is 120/240. Distribution voltage is higher because less amperage is required which allows smaller distribution wire sizes. It has nothing to do with your fridges or freezers to be under sized. That is a problem with the interior wire. It's also fine to use an extension cord on kegerator if its sized properly.

There are UPS's that could handle the load, but it would be really pricey I think because it may need to be larger due to the inrush current from the compressor. How often do you lose power?

Have you considered bypassing the internal thermostat and running the beverage center using something like an STC-1000?

Cheers!

Yes, I have considered the STC-1000. I'm not 100% sure this will work as the beverage center fans come on frequency to move the cold air around. Seems to me the fans work, at times, independently of the compressor. Easily tell by the sound coming from the beverage center. I don't want to cut the wrong wires, install the STC-1000 incorrectly and ruin the fans (please realize I'm not writing about the compressor).

Yes, I have considered the STC-1000. I'm not 100% sure this will work as the beverage center fans come on frequency to move the cold air around. Seems to me the fans work, at times, independently of the compressor. Easily tell by the sound coming from the beverage center. I don't want to cut the wrong wires, install the STC-1000 incorrectly and ruin the fans (please realize I'm not writing about the compressor).

Plug the beverage center into the STC. The beverage center won't see power until the STC, or any Inkbird temperature controller, will turn power on to the beverage center when the temperature becomes too warm. The fans won't have any power to circulate the air until the inkbird sends power to the unit. No wires to cut.

As for using extension cords with refrigerators or freezers they will work fine but most people don't USE the correct size cord. I have always purchased larger sized cords than I think I need. I have 14 and 12 gauge extension cords which usually match the size coming from the unit. Yes there is a loss in the cord over longer distance which is why larger power tools have recommended extension cords over various distances.

I'm attaching the beverage center wiring diagram.

I'd rather rewire the beverage center using the STC controller instead of simply plugging the beverage center into the STC. I feel plugging the beverage center into the STC will cause the beverage center to reset to 54F. Something need to be done to remove the beverage center temp control out of the cooling.

Thoughts?

Danby Wiring Diagram.JPG

Back