Use of oak chips in IRA for competition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick222

Reaction score
How does the use of oak chips in an Irish red ale can affect in a competition? Does it make it fall out of style?

For a 5 gallon batch I use 2/3 of a cup of light toast oak chips, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water, they are soaked for about 60-90 minutes, then placed in secondary before racking the beer in and left there for 5 days, so the aroma and taste are noticeable.

I brew three styles very often and I've been offered to send 2 of them for a competition on March next year, I would really like to send this one, but I'm not sure on how the adjuncts use is judged...

If the oak is subtle enter it as a Irish red ale.
If the oak is noticeable enter the beer into the oak category.
if your not sure you can always enter both categorys

If the flavor or aroma is noticeable then I would enter it in the category below. I would judge a mild to overtly oaky Irish Red as being out of style even if it were a great beer. I would write in the comments that while great it needs to be entered into 33A.

From the 2015 bjcp guidelines

33A. Wood-Aged Beer
This style is intended for beer aged in wood without added
alcohol character from previous use of the barrel. Bourbonbarrel
or other similar beers should be entered as a Specialty
Wood-Aged Beer.
Overall Impression: A harmonious blend of the base beer
style with characteristics from aging in contact with wood. The
best examples will be smooth, flavorful, well-balanced and
well-aged.

Thanks for your takes on this, and also for bringing up the guideline, I was still looking into the 2008 version!

I like a really good Irish Red, care to share your recipe?

Well... I can share this:

Malts: 2 row brewers malt, crystal 60 and 120 for an SRM of 16.4 and 1.051 OG

Hops: Perle and Amarillo for 28 IBU

60 minute mash, 60 boil

Yeast: WLP001, 10 days ferment, FG 1.012

Adjunct addition and secondary are described in my first post

Sorry, I had no idea I asked you to divulge a secret recipe. Didn't intend to brew it and compete against you.

Don't worry, no biggie.. just that I would feel more comfortable sharing it fully if I wasn't making money out of it ;-)

OTOH, I don't want to appear as a ****** when I have profited from all the knowledge shared in this site...

Back