Use of Airstone for Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
Could someone relate any info about using an aquarium pump and airstone to aerate wort. My concerns include: sanitization (of airstone), how long it needs to run, should I change filters on my aquarium pump, is this sort of aeration even necessary if I pour my wort into the fermenter through a funnel (which results in a bit of aeration, I assume), and any other pointers on aeration. Thanks,
Dorian.

Your concerns are good ones...sanitizing that stone would be my number one. That's a sensitive time for the wort. Also, what are you going to bubble through it? Filtered air? O2? Pure O2 would be too dangerous for my tastes, and air would need to be seriously filtered.

I don't bother with such a setup. It honestly isn't necessary. My wort comes out of my chiller and I just let it splash to the bottom of the demijohn. That's all the aeration that's needed for excellent, vigorous ferments.

You kind of have to go out of your way to under-aerate.

And remember...never aerate while it's hot :D

Someone on this board has a setup like you descrtibe, and can give more information I'm sure.

Back