Use for whole barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggslife

Reaction score
I have a packet of whole (un-malted) barley I bought a while back on a whim thinking I could use it in some way.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't intend to malt it but thought maybe it could be added at some stage to add flavour somehow?

Note: just got into All Grain brewing after few years of wine and forager 'ales'.

You can use it in a mash, although it generally helps to modify it somehow before hand. Not sure about barley, but I know non-malted wheat and oats come in flaked and torrified versions. Basically all they've done is treated the grain so that the starches are easily accessible to the mash enzymes. If it's not been treated, look up a cereal mash, I've got a feeling that might be what you want to do. You may also want to consider doing a little reading on a protein rest to break down some more of the grains if you aren't already.

The other option if you're interested is rather than malting it turning it into a roast/black barley. Both use unmalted grains, and I feel like I've seen posts on here of people making some on their grills, a search should find them. Might be a nice touch if you've got a stout or porter recipe you want to try and want to give it that extra home-made touch.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum! :D

Yea, roast it... the worst thing that can happen is you antecedently burn it and it turns into black malt. That is an oversimplification, but not much of one. Just keep the temps low.

i want to use barley too but using enzymes hehehe or as an adjunt (not roasted) some homedestillers use an enzyme called speedase but i was told that converts avery starch into sugar and will take the S.G. into zero but maybe if i inactivate the enzymes works by using mash-out technique will work.

Im just trying to make experiments and see if its posible to make a cheaper beer but at the same time with a better flavor than an industrial beer maybe wont be so yummy than a 100% malt beer but who knows

Brief update on this topic - 2 of my last 4 batches have had decent amounts if "roasted barley" added.

I grilled it until partially black and used in both my Porter and a recent meaty mild.

Both have a rich body with strong hints of coffee and chocolate in both aroma and taste.

Great experiments.

Back