Use a Griffin beaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I kicked off my starter for this weekend's brew and I started thinking about Christmas prizes I might ask for. Currently I have a one gallon clear glass "cookie jar" that I give the occasional shake to get a bit of extra oxygen in. I am thinking of asking for a real live stir plate but instead of an Erlenmeyer flask, I'm thinking of a Griffin beaker instead. I like the idea of having the wide mouth and since it is made from borosilicate glass, I assume I could put it on the stove just like the Erlenmeyer.

Anybody doing this? Just wondering if I'm headed down the wrong path. By the way, I found a great deal on stir plates - the StirStarter is a great price and if you like DIY, their website even tells you how to build your own!

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin beakers are cool-hell, most lab glassware is cool. That being said I prefer my Erlenmyers for starters, partly because I use foam stoppers, but mostly because that's what they're made for. I think the thinner neck makes for easier handling of a hot solution.

I have considered the Griffin beaker also. The only reason I didn't go for it was the price of the 'high form' beaker that would be large enough for big starters.
I have also considered round bottom flasks. Would need a ring for the flask to sit on the stir plate. That would be no problem. Can be make them with the bandsaw and scrap wood. Our stove is electric coil so would never boil in it. The appeal is I would never have a problem with a thrown stir bar again.

erlenmeyers are used in labs because cultures are generally grown on incubated shaking platforms rather than stirplates, and the shape of the erlenmeyer is great for sloshing liquid. just be aware with a far larger opening you have more area for dust and whatnot to fall in when it's uncovered!

Back