Us vs. The big guys...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
Contrary to how the title sounds, I actually keyed onto an idea by the brewmaster at the Springfield Brewing Company, Ashton Lewis. He also holds an MS in brewing science from the University of California at Davis, and is BYO's technical editor.

What he said in his article makes sense, and I would like to follow the thought further down the track that it is intended.

The article is called "Eight Tip to Advance your Brewing Skills", and the fifth tip goes like this:

5. Learn from the Giants of the Industry
Too many small-scale brewers (homebrewers and craft brewers) spend way too much time bad-mouthing big brewers. Maybe it makes small brewers feel superior or something, but it could simply be a complex. Most small brewers feel pretty tiny when they dwell on the numbers. A small brewery may squeak out 1,200 barrels of beer a year - that's roughly 0.0006 percent of annual domestic beer sales. If every domestic brewery only produced 1,200 barrels per year, there would be 150,000 breweries in the United States!
The fact is that the big breweries really know their stuff, but they choose to brew what 95 percent of the public wants to buy. Their decisions are based on basic economic principles that drive the world. Some past experimental brews from the corporate R&D facility of a rather large brewery located along the Mississippi River were truly exceptional beers. Included was a doppel bock, a barleywine aged in French oak, and a dry-hopped IPA. These beers will never be sold commercially because the market is too small, but they proved that these companies can do about anything they want.
Learn how the big breweries do what they do and you are sure to pick up some useful information. This doesn't mean you need to start brewing light beer at home, but many of the techniques used by the big breweries are pretty slick and can give homebrewers new ideas.

I would like to diagnose the steps that are used by the small brewer, the home brewers, and the craft brewers, and compare them to the way in which the big guys brew.

To begin:

Grain Sources

Malting

Roasting

Equipment

Mashing

Boiling

Chilling

Yeast

Fermentation

Carbonation

Bottling/Kegging

These are just a few of the steps to begin, but maybe a start to see what the big guys are doing that we could discuss and learn from.

Please do not use this thread as a place to bash the major breweries, as that is a frequently discussed topic that belongs elsewhere :)

I read something the other day about the hop utilization being higher on larger batches. I'm not sure how that happens but there's a start.

These are just a few of the steps to begin, but maybe a start to see what the big guys are doing that we could discuss and learn from.

Cleaning and sanitizing

I read something the other day about the hop utilization being higher on larger batches. I'm not sure how that happens but there's a start.

Are you sure it was volume? Ive never heard that before. Hop utilization is lower with a higher gravity boil. It shouldn't matter the volume.

I know that one specific brand is brewed to high gravity, then diluted down before bottling. This adds to efficiency, saves time and space.

But it sorta makes me uncomfortable, not sure why.

This is really a massive topic. Each one could have its own thread.

Malting

Always get a lot analysis of malt you are using. Learn to read it. Process, style and malt all need to work together.

If your process isn't going to change and you're set on brewing a specific style find the malt that is going to give you the best results.

If you set on a specific mash program you want to try make sure you are using a malt that will benefit from this type of mashing.

The malts you use and how you mash them can effect yeast performance.

The big guys are looking for consistency but for us homebrewers we can achieve better more predictable results by knowing the malts we are using.

Yeast:

Learn how to use your yeast and get it to do what you want. Don't try to use all 100+ types of yeast. Just like the "big boys", when you figure out how to use a few key yeasts, you will be able to make almost every style with only a few.

Nothing wrong with any of the info in the OP........also nothing I couldn't learn from reading Palmer, which was my chosen textbook when I started. So, when we get past the "Ron Obvious" part, what's left....the actual levels of technology and methodology used by the bigs, which are most emphatically neither practical nor affordable to the home brewer.

I'll be in this activity / insanity four years this November, and finally feel (after all these batches, but still less than 100) that my beer has finally come of age. And I still just brew five gallons at a time in white plastic buckets after mashing in a plastic cooler and boiling over a turkey fryer burner. I've still got stuff to learn, and, as a local brewmaster remarked, "You'll learn a lot more by brewing 200 5-gallon batches than you will by brewing 100 10-gallon batches."

"You'll learn a lot more by brewing 200 5-gallon batches than you will by brewing 100 10-gallon batches."

That is so true. I learn from each batch and do feel my brews continue to get better as I tighten up my processes.

I am learning more about yeasts, fermentation temps and just recipes in general.

I have tried a lot of different yeasts and have a good handle on what they can do. I still have several yeasts that I would like to try. Once I have tried some more yeasts, I do like the idea of picking a few yeasts and really getting to know them.

You can brew a million 5 gallon batches but when you start brewing 100bbl batches you realize that you have a alot to learn from AB.

Look at Jamil Zainasheff. One of the best homebrewers in the world and I would bet a few months in to Heretic brewing he'd tell you the same.

So let's narrow this down...

Where do these big companies buy their malt and hops. What do they do for storage? Hop preservation? Yeast slanting?

How can we adapt what they are doing to us, and if we are already, lets throw in suppliers names, prices, bulk storage ideas, prices on equipment for hop storage and for slanting.

I will look for some of my links tomorrow, to try and narrow this stuff down, but if you have something to add, please do!

Back