us-o5 or wyeast 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grem135

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a cream ale "lawnmower beer" and want your opinions on what yeast to use. Safale US-05 or Wyeast 1056 american ale are the ones recommended.
I also have some washed yeast: wyeast british ale(1098), trappist HG(3787) and belgiun abbey(1214) but not sure I would want to use any of these.

Its the northern brewer recipe as follows:

SPECIALTY GRAIN
0.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit
FERMENTABLES
6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
1 oz Cluster (60 min)

They are the same strain along with white labs 001 - the "Chico" strain believed to be from Sierra Nevada. Some people say that US05 creates peachy/sulfury flavors in same cases, but others can't tell. Either should be an excellent choice for a cream ale.

Since you're using More Beer's recipe, what do they call for? Or better yet, what do the reviews say?

FWIW, I used US-05 for my cream ale and it's pre-carb taste was excellent.

QuercusMax said:
They are the same strain along with white labs 001 - the "Chico" strain believed to be from Sierra Nevada. Some people say that US05 creates peachy/sulfury flavors in same cases, but others can't tell. Either should be an excellent choice for a cream ale.

The peachy/ sulfury only happens when you don't ferment it correctly. S-05 is super clean!

Since you're using More Beer's recipe, what do they call for? Or better yet, what do the reviews say?

FWIW, I used US-05 for my cream ale and it's pre-carb taste was excellent.

Acually its the northern brewer recipe with us-05 the default and wyeast the option. I have been using wyeast and making starters for my last 4-5 batches

So far looks like us-05 is the goto on this one. I will check again in the morning before i order. Thanks

i did this kit last year with us-05 and it was fine. I'd even wash this yeast afterwards and keep it around for more brews. I've used it in a lot of different beers so far.

I just brewed the same beer this past Saturday and used the Wyeast option. It was fermenting already after 12 hours. It's only my second batch.
The first was American Wheat and I used Wyeast. It turned out really good.

Back