Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKBrewing

Reaction score
I have a honey pale ale in fermentation right now. It's my fourth homebrew and first time using US-05. I pitched at 64 degrees and I usually let it ferment in my basement which is on average 60-62 degrees year round. With recent temps being in the single digits outside in st. Louis it lowered the temperature of my brew to 56. Over the course of 4 days it has slowly risen back to 63 degrees. How well does US-05 work in lower temperatures? Should I be aware of any off flavors or my beer being ruined? Or will I be ok and it will take a bit longer to ferment out? Thanks!

I've had a couple of recent us-05 ferments go into the upper 40's and turn out fine, just look longer to finish.
Minus 26 here now and my fermenting chamber (in my house) is at a balmy 42. It is an unused back bedroom with the door shut and the heat turned off.
Some have stated here that US-05 doesn't like cold temps but I havn't had any issues as long as the ferment was rolling when I put it in the fermenting room.

Do you have a kreusen? ...foam developing on top? If that stays, you should be fine.

I have used US-05 a few times. It will add a little more character to the beer than US-04.

Good luck.
Bill

Do you have a kreusen? ...foam developing on top? If that stays, you should be fine.

I have used US-05 a few times. It will add a little more character to the beer than US-04.

Good luck.
Bill

Yes kreusen is pretty solid right now.

Good luck.
Bill

Yes there is solid kreusen at the moment

Good luck.
Bill

Kreusen is solid right now. It looks pretty good.

wow...i apologize for the repeats. I attempted to reply using my app on my phone and it kept telling me that there was a problem connecting to the server and that I could not post. obviously it did. so yea, my apologies! also why don't I have an option to delete a post?

Haha I was just adding on to all the repeated posts. Anyhow I agree with others, your beer will be fine but may take a little longer. Us-05 is pretty resilient

Latest posts

Back