Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I made a US-05 starter for a higher gravity beer. I have never seen it ferment in a clear container before. Does this look normal or is there an infection?

IMG_02361 (1).jpg

I've made starters from US-05. Color looks fine.
500ml is a bit small to really ramp up the cell count. You'd need at least 2-4 times that.

Did you rehydrate before pitching it in the starter wort? Could they be undissolved yeast clumps or rafts? Really hard to see. They're not fuzzy, are they?

It's not that high gravity. It is just 1.060. I I am more concerned about the cloudy bubbles. Otherwise it looks fine.

You don't need a starter for that gravity with s05. Rehydrate correctly per instructions with ore oiled water and pitch. It looks fine to me, but smell it.

No need to do a starter for dry yeast, just rehydrate. Bubbles are normal, if you sanitized properly you should be in the clear, infections generally take some time to show up

for a 1.060 beer you you just pitch the yeast dry or re hydrated. with dry yeast you never need to make a starter, for your beer 1 pack would be plenty of yeast.

Strange that no-one addresses your globules, but seem to know everything about US-05 and starters...

I can't see from the picture what they are. They're probably just yeast clumps. Did you use a stirrer or just swirling?

Yes, you can make starters from dry yeast. It is usually
a) not needed as the yeast count is typically high already, or
b) not recommended since rehydrated yeast is ready to go, or
c) just as easy and cheap to pitch a 2nd pouch.

But the point is, you could, just like any other yeast, and when in doubt of its viability (e.g., outdated, improperly stored), this is a good sanity test for it.

That said, the yeast is also ready to go to make you a (huge) starter. If it multiplies in a fermentor of wort/beer it will grow in a flask with starter wort too. Yeast is yeast.

Latest posts

Back