us-05 production or expiry date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expiration Date!

I've used them 3-5 years after that (kept frozen) and they were still good. YMMV.

You can always test viability by pitching a little in a small batch. Or even in some starter wort.

I'm really confused now too. Let's get some evidence...

From Safale's website:

SHELF LIFE
24 months from production date. Refer to best before end date printed on the sachet.

That's from the PDF dated October 2015. So that would mean the date printed IS "Expiration Date," 2 years after production date.

Here's another reference confirming this, alas without a source date:

Shelf life: Refer to best before end date on sachets. 24 months from production date under recommended storage conditions.

I'm really confused now too. Let's get some evidence...

From Safale's website:

That's from the PDF dated October 2015. So that would mean the date printed IS "Expiration Date," 2 years after production date.

Here's another reference confirming this, alas without a source date:

Oh, its the expiry date! I just realized that we are not yet in 2017! :)

VhR1gj4.jpg

Oh, its the expiry date! I just realized that we are not yet in 2017! :)

VhR1gj4.jpg

That's the example we were looking for, a date past today!

I went back to my freezer to double check. 3 times! I have none younger than a 2014 stamp.

The 4th line under DRY ALE YEAST could be a bit clearer, doncha think? :tank:

That's the example we were looking for, a date past today!

I went back to my freezer to double check. 3 times! I have none younger than a 2014 stamp.

The 4th line under DRY ALE YEAST could be a bit clearer, doncha think? :tank:

Man, what a day! Its the first time that I made 2 batches in one day. I think I'm exhausted and not able to read anymore. ;)

I can't read mouse print anymore - that line 4 has likely been there forever but I never saw it 'til now ;)
Also, the S04 I bought just two weekends ago have December 2015 dates, so no help there.
But I will be speaking to my LHBS about that.

fwiw, I do two 5g recipes nearly every brew day. I've found it's easier to keep the pipeline full with more variety than the alternatives of brewing 10g batches or brewing more frequently...

Cheers!

Back