US-05 Clumping on Surface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
IMG_03237.JPG

So I'm wondering if this is a problem. Haven't seen this behaviour before. This is the first run with my improv fermentation chamber (soon to be kegerator).

Anyway US-05 says not the rehydrate, so I didn't. I pitched at around 77-86 F. Set the fridge for around 60 F and went to bed. This morning I see what I took a picture of. There are a few bubbles in the blow off chamber but it just looks really weird. Should I rehydrate a new satchel of US-05 and dump it in or see if it takes off?

It's starting to form a krausen. It will eventually spread out to cover the whole thing. It happens all the time, but most of the time we don't notice. But the krausen has to start somewhere. I bet you that if you top some spot temp readings with a laser themometer, you would see that the warmest part of the whole chamber is to that side of the carboy, and the cells started popping because of that.

I've seen ears form. There's pics on here of formations that look like brain coral.

You don't need to do anything. It will be fine.

Take a look at any time laspsed fermentation videos and you'll see that krausens usually form at one point first then spread out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read Fermentis website regarding re-hydration, it's on there somewhere. Might be the Tips/Tricks download that is well worth the read.

Well Revvy was right. Got a full healthy krausken taking over the dead space right now. The fridge seems to be keeping it from blowing off as well.

Back