US-05 and Lemony Flavor or Something Like That :-)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have brewed this beer at least 5 times and the flavor has been pretty consistent but this time I am getting an almost lemony citrus flavor that I didn't expect. Its hard for me to pinpoint what exactly I am tasting. Its not bad but leaves my mouth with a slight aftertaste of something like water with lemon. I should mention the beer is only 19 days old.

Recipe
19 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4.0 oz Acid Malt
2.00 oz Tettnang
2.0 pkg Safale #US-05

Mashed 60 min at 151 degrees. (was supposed to be 147 but over shot because I think the grain was warmer than I expected from sitting outside.)

Boiled 90 min, but had to add bottled water back in because too much boiled off.

Fermented at...
68 for first 12 hour (forgot to set temp on fridge)
62 for a week
Warmed up to 68 for about 5 days.
Cold crashed for 3 days.
Kegged at day 15-16

I don't normally go that aggressively. I usually anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks in Primary and cold crash for a week but this time I was in a hurry to get another batch into the fermenter for a party in June and my gravity had been stable for a few days.

So the main differences in the process were, 4 degrees in mash temp, shorter in primary but the gravity was solid for many days before I crashed it. Oh and I also did a BIB this time versus my typical 3 vessel brew day.

Just curious if anyone has any idea of where that lemony flavor came from and if maybe its just a green beer thing that will mellow out? Its really not a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
So my wife and friend says it tastes fine. Lol. A buddy of mine said he tasted slight tartness and a little green apple which I agree with. I'm thinking it came from a combination of over shooting the mash making it more sweet, and also overshooting my mash-out maybe extracting some tannins from the grain.

My blondes have been coming out tasting like a blue moon clone with us05, but I suspect it's because they need to age longer.

So my wife and friend says it tastes fine. Lol. A buddy of mine said he tasted slight tartness and a little green apple which I agree with. I'm thinking it came from a combination of over shooting the mash making it more sweet, and also overshooting my mash-out maybe extracting some tannins from the grain.
Green apple? Maybe it's an off flavor from acetaldehyde.

Do you happen to have a local microbrewery near you? If so call up there and see if one of the head brewers minds giving your brew a taste! That's the best thing you can do imo

Latest posts

Back