Urgh!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
I bottled a batch about seven weeks ago with the help of a friend who came to visit from out of town. Wanting to include him and introduce him to homebrewing, I let him cap.

I just tried a bottle last night and it's semi-flat!!!! Looking at the caps, I can tell that they didn't seal properly.....urgh!

Just enough carb to tingle the tounge.

Just writing this to get it off my chest since I don't have the heart to tell him about the mishap. I should've explained the capping process (I always cap, turn bottle 90 deg. and cap again....never had a problem).

At least the beer taste good. Just thought I would rant a bit.

Cheers

Brewing with noobs is tough sometimes. What kind of capper do you have?

It seems that people that help me bottle always want to cap. So, I show them how and then I watch them do a few. in the end, I always inspect their work to make sure this doesn't happen to me.

I too have a wing capper. I let others fill the bottles and I do the capping. My capper can break bottles and knock them over if not used correctly, so I do the dirty work.

Why cap 90 cap?

When doing this, i see an even pressure mark (circle in the middle of the cap) on the cap from the capper, otherwise its usually just to one side. Could just be my capper or again I just don't apply even pressuer on both handels. Either way, it works for me.

i use a capper like yours and it works fine and I only do it once. I let my gf fill since she doesnt have enough lead in her ass to get the lid on correctly.

Back