Upside down sanke fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GORILLA

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of switching over to all sanke kegs for everything and have already tried fermenting in cornies... here's my newest brain scheme. I would like to hear your thoughts. I like this idea because it would act like a conical with an adapter that's been robbed of both valves. CO2 can still exit just fine right out to my blowoff and PRV and I can draw trub out after primary. Let me know what you think please.

IMG_20160320_214358319.jpg

You won't get any trub to drain out of the small openings in the coupler.

Why not? While pressure fermenting in cornies right before transferring from primary fermenter to secondary/ serving I would clear trub out of the dip tube and it worked fine. The I.D. of a dip tube is what...3/16"? I'm pretty sure the gas in passages on a spear allow more CFM than a corny dip tube.

You won't get any trub to drain out of the small openings in the coupler.

Why not? While pressure fermenting in cornies right before transferring from primary fermenter to secondary/ serving I would clear trub out of the dip tube and it worked fine. The I.D. of a dip tube is what...3/16"? I'm pretty sure the gas in passages on a spear allow more CFM than a corny dip tube.

I would like to hear your thoughts. I like this idea because it would act like a conical
It not like a conical at all. It won't work. There are many attempts at this and it doesn't work.
Don't let that discourage you though... Sankes make great fermentors. One of my favorite time savers.

I had this idea a couple of weeks ago. The sticking point that I read about is that to get any of the conical trub draining effect, you need a much steeper cone. The bowl of an inverted Sanke won't allow anything to slide out other than whatever is right inside the neck of the opening to begin with. It's not really an issue of drain diameter (at least not completely). You can "clear" the trub just fine to allow liquid to flow, but that's not the same as getting the trub to all pour out before the liquid breaks through the cake.

I've got one. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458746990.222821.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458747014.705021.jpg

For all the reasons mentioned - it doesn't work. However I will tell you that they do make excellent fermenters. I had a 4" ferrule welded on the bottom of the keg and tapped it for 1/2"npt. I use those interchangeably for various fittings- blow off attachment, pressure gauge, gas in post etc, and then I'm ready to transfer under pressure I have a stainless racking cane with a compression fitting that I use. I can adjust the height of the cane to find the lowest point in the keg that racks clear beer.
I also have a blank 4" end cap so I can turn the keg over the other way if or when needed.
I've never used that gigantic 2" ball valve. I thought I could have it work as a dump but I never got it to work.

Latest posts

Back