Uprising foam in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnbapro

Reaction score
Hello. I've done a few batches already, but most of them, allegedly ready to be used, when I open the bottle there is like a volcano eruption of foam. At firt I thought it a matter of the disinfection but it doesn't seem like that...

I would like to get suggestion on how to solve this problem...

Thanks

Usually there are only a few culprits here.

1 - Infection
2 - Too much priming sugar. If there is too much it will over carbonate and cause this foaming, or worse bottle bombs.
3 - Beer wasn't finished fermenting and continued to do so in the bottle which can also cause the gushing bottles.

what hopjunkie said are the most common culprits. But I'd like to add that if you've used a Diasticus yeast you also might experience this.

Also, make sure the carbed-up bottles have been chilled for a couple of days. The lower temperature increases the solubility of CO2 in the beer, which relieves pressure in the headspace.

Bummer man! For this batch to try and save what you can, buy a gallon sized pitcher, set the bottle in it, open the cap slowly and let it run into the pitcher. After a while you'll be able to remove the cap totally and pour the rest into the pitcher. It's all going to foam up... but the foam will turn into beer eventually and the gallon size allows you to get all the foam out without disrupting the yeast on the bottom.

Usually there are only a few culprits here.

1 - Infection
2 - Too much priming sugar. If there is too much it will over carbonate and cause this foaming, or worse bottle bombs.
3 - Beer wasn't finished fermenting and continued to do so in the bottle which can also cause the gushing bottles.
How can I know the amount of priming sugar I need? Usually I make batch of 20 liter (about 5 gallons)...

Latest posts

Back