Upright Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vosperp

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this Forum. I got a lot of help and insights that were helpful to build my Keezer.

I decided to get a new Freezer as I wanted to make sure I could maximise the life of the build. I found a new Frigidaire upright Freezer/Fridge on Craig's list for $600. The benefits were: (1) I could set the unit to Fridge and set the temp to 45 degrees, avoiding the need for a temperature controller. I have been monitoring the temp with a separate digital unit and it seem accurate. (2) It has its own recirculation so I did not need to install a fan. (3) The internal lighting system is not bypassed. (4) I have enough room for 11 kegs if I decide to put the Co2 on the outside or about 9 kegs if I keep internally and keep the footprint minimal vs a chest freezer.

I removed all the glass shelves and the bottom door shelves.

I bought a Heavy duty office utility cart from Amazon. With the wheels on, that was the perfect size to fit kegs on the bottom and top. I used a rubber self sticking mat to protect the plastic floor of the fridge.

I used an Eva Dry dehumidifier. Not sure that I would need it, but...

For the time being, I am keeping the co2 inside the fridge as I have the room right now and I can avoid further drilling.

I ordered all the parts from Keg Connection. They were extremely helpful in putting together all the parts I would need and the price is good. Certainly much easier than trying to put everything together myself.

I attached the manifold using liquid nails and one of the existing screws holding the rear vent flat to hold it in place while the glue cures.

The regulator attached to the co2 tank is a little side heavy, so I am going to mount the regulator the fridge wall and use a high pressure hose from the tank to the regulator. That will make the regulator more secure and keep it at a height that I can easily see it above the kegs.

I used the 6 hole drip tray as a template for drilling the shank holes. Drilled through the door with a small titanium drill bit to help guide the larger drill bit and create a matching hold on the plastic side of the door.

For now, I have a six tap configuration. 5 CMB V3S forward seal taps and one stout tap. I have room to add 4 more taps above the existing 6 taps as I expand.

On the door side I drilled out the shank holes using a 15/16" bit. That created the perfect sized hole for the shanks. I then drilled out a 1" hole on the plastic inner side using the whole made by the small bit as my guide. I inserted PVC piping with a slight lip into the hole. That created a more robust structure for when I tightened down the Hex Nut on the inside of the Shanks. I bought stainless steel shank collars for the front to match the appearance of the fridge and drip tray and used the plastic ones that came with the shanks on the inside to give the Hex nut something stronger to bite into.

Really happy with how this turned out. I have an Ale going in today and will be kegging a Plinian IPA, Bourbon Porter, a Golden Ale and a Black Ale in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

I bought that same model new this summer to replace my garage refrigerator. I would love to use one for my upright kegerator, but that's a pricey unit!

Nice job on the upright. I've always thought it's the most kegs you can get in the smallest footprint.

Finished! Added two Stout Taps, beer gas and regulator and a secondary regulator with 3 individually adjustable psi's. Can now run 5 different carbonation levels and 8 different taps. Have room for one more tap but for now want to keep co2 and beer gas inside the fridge (to avoid more drilling) and keep room for lagering/cold crashing.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Very nice!

I especially appreciate the casters on the shelf--lets you roll it around in there, doesn't it? :) :) :)

My first thought when I saw the thread title was all the wasted space you'd have in an upright, but that shelf is the nuts. The casters get it high enough to get corny kegs under it, and still room on top for more.

+1 on the whole shebang!

I had to use the casters to get the height right. They have a lock on the wheels so it does not move.

I used liquid chalk pens. Available on Amazon. I tried to use one of those blackboard stick on surfaces but could never get it right (always had bubbles). Just decided to write straight on the surface. Comes off clean with a paper towel.

This is a great example of an upright keezer. So many taps in such a small floor footprint. I have to be honest though, my OCD is just bugging me on having the two nitro taps mounted above the others! I'm guessing you originally only planned on 6 because there's plenty of space to do 8 in a single row.

beerboard2.jpg

LOL. A man after my own heart. Actually on the inside are plastic ridges for the removable door shelves. That limited the width of the taps. The Nitro stouts sit just between the taps below and further away from the door so that they don't drip on them. I have room for a third on that row (to the left), which is probably the max that I can keep in the fridge if I want to keep the co2 and beer gas bottles in the fridge and save room for one lagering/cold crash. I have also realized that 45 gallons of beer is a lot to drink!

I have a bourbon barrel porter and a Pliny clone on tap right now. Between the end of Jan and mid Feb, I have a vanilla milk stout, an English Dry Stout, a Black IPA, a Golden IPA, a California Amber Ale and a Heady Topper Clone (I went a little nuts on the hoppy IPA's) to go on tap. Next up is a Belgium Saison. Love the Saisons and have been working on a recipe that I hope will be fantastic. That should keep me happy for a little bit and out of the Garage.

BTW, your set up posting was one of the original inspirations for going down the upright route. I got really lucky that I could pick up this floor model for a reasonable price (has a few small dents and dings on the side). It has its own temp control, so could avoid modding for that part at least.

Very nice! What's the model of that fridge? And do you have a link to the shelf? I've been looking at those upright freezers and wondering how I could get one to work..,,

I have also realized that 45 gallons of beer is a lot to drink!

LOL, that's a good problem to have! I know what you mean though as I sometimes will get a beer that we're not drinking much and several months later I end up tossing the last gallon or so to get something new on. A party or two does wonders for thinning the kegs though. :tank:

Very nice! What's the model of that fridge? And do you have a link to the shelf? I've been looking at those upright freezers and wondering how I could get one to work..,,

If you want to see one in person let me know. Almost finished with mine.

This is awesome. I'm thinking about doing this exactly, but have kegs on the bottom only, with top 2 or 3 shelves still intact to hold bottled beer/ soda.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been slacking building a rack for my upright and have been stacking kegs. Thanks for posting that link I just bought it.

Back