Upgrade to All Grain with All-In-One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty4263

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to all-grain brewing with an all-in-one system. I have been doing research and am looking at the Grainfather or Anvil. I have read up and down, contradicting reviews for both. I have the ability right now to brew indoors or in the garage and store the fermenter in both as well. Another focus would be on upgrading my fermenter. Right now I use a 7.5 gallon bucket. I am looking at the Spike Flex and Spike Conical. I know Grainfather makes one as well. I tend to secondary all my brews as I like adjuncts. I would like to get myself to a closed transfer from start to kegging. Would I need 2 fermenters to accomplish this? Would I be able to remove the yeast after primary and ad adjuncts/dry hops without introducing too much oxygen? I need to keep my budget for all at around $1600-$1700. Any input from people who have used any is greatly appreciated.

As for all in one system, I purchased the Foundry this past February and love it. I have brewed all grain for years and moved from cooler systems, to BIAB and now to the Foundry and have not look back since. Before buying, I really wanted the Grainfather, but decided not to spend that much money when the Foundry was getting great reviews and the fact that it was a Blichmann product means great customer service. I can't speak to the fermenters as I still use plastic Better Bottles.

I have the Grainfather and love it. I also have a Spike Flex Plus and CF5 Conical. I use the Flex if I am not doing anything with adjuncts or a secondary. The Conical I purchased the leg extensionions (shorter of the 2), added the sight glass and rolling casters. I use the sight glass to watch how much yeast/sediment I drop out when I want to move to a secondary and add anything. When dumping I hook up CO2 at VERY low pressure to keep O2 out and provide a push to any stuck sediment in the neck. I never dump with the whole 2" port either I put on of the Barb fittings on so its only a small dump port and no explosions that way. Works great.

Plenty of these are sold here in the gor sale forums. If you're looking for something in particular, post in the want to buy section. I enjoy my brew boss system.

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to all-grain brewing with an all-in-one system. I have been doing research and am looking at the Grainfather or Anvil. I have read up and down, contradicting reviews for both. I have the ability right now to brew indoors or in the garage and store the fermenter in both as well. Another focus would be on upgrading my fermenter. Right now I use a 7.5 gallon bucket. I am looking at the Spike Flex and Spike Conical. I know Grainfather makes one as well. I tend to secondary all my brews as I like adjuncts. I would like to get myself to a closed transfer from start to kegging. Would I need 2 fermenters to accomplish this? Would I be able to remove the yeast after primary and ad adjuncts/dry hops without introducing too much oxygen? I need to keep my budget for all at around $1600-$1700. Any input from people who have used any is greatly appreciated.

Like jdauria, I went w/Anvil for much the same reasons. One thing to consider since you're looking at upgrading to Spike systems is the temp control aspect. If you don't have already have something in mind, utilizing the temp control options w/either of those systems should be considered in the budget you're looking to hit.

Like jdauria, I went w/Anvil for much the same reasons. One thing to consider since you're looking at upgrading to Spike systems is the temp control aspect. If you don't have already have something in mind, utilizing the temp control options w/either of those systems should be considered in the budget you're looking to hit.

This is a big thing too. I was doing more brewing in the winter as I had the temp control system with heat pad and easier to keep the temp up with that. When it got warm I tried using a cooler with ice and its a pain in the azz. I've since upgraded to a penguin glycol chiller so I have full control in my garage any time of the year.

Also to note, my garage is insulated so theambient aire doesn't get cooler than 50 in the dead of winter and 80 in the dead of summer unless the door is open.

This is a big thing too. I was doing more brewing in the winter as I had the temp control system with heat pad and easier to keep the temp up with that. When it got warm I tried using a cooler with ice and its a pain in the azz. I've since upgraded to a penguin glycol chiller so I have full control in my garage any time of the year.

Also to note, my garage is insulated so theambient aire doesn't get cooler than 50 in the dead of winter and 80 in the dead of summer unless the door is open.

So you're def sorted there....that's awesome. Friend of mine lives a little southeast of Dallas and he is having a hell of a time trying to maintain temps. He rigged a YETI knockoff cooler, and is running his pump through there into his fermenters (Anvil). I keep telling him to either get a glycol chiller or give Kveik yeast a try, but he is stubborn.

So you're def sorted there....that's awesome. Friend of mine lives a little southeast of Dallas and he is having a hell of a time trying to maintain temps. He rigged a YETI knockoff cooler, and is running his pump through there into his fermenters (Anvil). I keep telling him to either get a glycol chiller or give Kveik yeast a try, but he is stubborn.

I hated the cooler. You have to keep the water to a low ratio and ice to a high ration to keep the water cold enough and not have the ice melt too fast. Just a lot of babysitting each day. I've got an Octoberfest fermenting at 50 degrees right now. It's nice to have full control of temp..

I hated the cooler. You have to keep the water to a low ratio and ice to a high ration to keep the water cold enough and not have the ice melt too fast. Just a lot of babysitting each day. I've got an Octoberfest fermenting at 50 degrees right now. It's nice to have full control of temp..

Timing of this convo is ironic actually, because I just got off the phone with him. Just talking out loud about how he was going to rack from fermenter to keg this time around. He brought up his success w/the cooler setup this round due to being a little more on top of it this time, along with a "stupid little gadget" that he purchased. He only had to change out his frozen water bottles 4 times over the course of 2 weeks and maintained a 68 degree fermentation. Which seems pretty reasonable.

A digital drain plug thermometer. When he saw the temp go above 50, he switched stuff out. A little more time spent may help gain more efficiency I'm guessing. He just drilled two holes, shoved the lines in at whatever length the hoses came in and runs it.

Grainfather owner as well. Great system and I enjoy brewing with it. I also have Cf5 conical which I love . You can dump trub and add adjuncts, no need for 2 . Unless you want to ferment 2 different beers lol......

Can't speak to the OP on this, but regarding maintaining fermentation temps I recently built a brewpiless fermentation chamber. Ran 7 batches through it so far and loving it! Freezers are cheap on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and the parts to build out something that fits two 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers were less than $100. Freezer not tall enough to hold your fermenter? Easy fix with some plywood and 2" rigid foam insultation.

I bought a Brewzilla 65L...love how easy it's made my brew day!

Just have to dial my system in but wouldn't go any other way at this point!

How has it been treating you?? I’ve owned the 120v Mash and Boil for a couple years and have been looking into going with a 10gal (Yield) EBIAB system and I just can’t seem to give the competeing units the time of day with the very appealing price point of the brewzilla. My only concern is the 3500w elements vs some of the other units that are at 5500w.. I’d love to hear your input! Cheers!

How has it been treating you?? I’ve owned the 120v Mash and Boil for a couple years and have been looking into going with a 10gal (Yield) EBIAB system and I just can’t seem to give the competeing units the time of day with the very appealing price point of the brewzilla. My only concern is the 3500w elements vs some of the other units that are at 5500w.. I’d love to hear your input! Cheers!

The price point is what got me as well. No worries on the 3500w...i had a rolling boil with a gallon/hour boil off rate at sea level.

Yes, the malt pipe is a pain with that center overflow tube but hey better to be safe then sorry and dry fire the elements.

Best advice crush your grains fine, use rice hulls, slow down the recirculation, mix the mash every 15-30 minutes and you should get some consistency once you've dialed everything in.

Also, there is nothing better IMO then creating 10 gallons of wort, putting it into two different fermenters and pitching teo different yeasts and having two beers with one grain bill.

The price point is what got me as well. No worries on the 3500w...i had a rolling boil with a gallon/hour boil off rate at sea level.

Yes, the malt pipe is a pain with that center overflow tube but hey better to be safe then sorry and dry fire the elements.

Best advice crush your grains fine, use rice hulls, slow down the recirculation, mix the mash every 15-30 minutes and you should get some consistency once you've dialed everything in.

Also, there is nothing better IMO then creating 10 gallons of wort, putting it into two different fermenters and pitching teo different yeasts and having two beers with one grain bill.
Great glad to hear it! Helping me get closer to pulling the trigger!

Great glad to hear it! Helping me get closer to pulling the trigger!

Don't get me wrong there are some adjustments...and it's probably going to take 2-3 brews to really dial in the system with your Recipe program of choice but in the end it'll be worth it...no more running out of propane or having a disgruntled wife because the kitchen smells of wort wort and hops...

...or having a disgruntled wife because the kitchen smells of wort wort and hops...

Yeah..this...I've kicked myself out to the garage which is where the kegerator is, so woot! Kids and wife may inevitably come out during a brew day and subsequently complain about the smell. But..at that point, I can say...my space..you came out here, so tough!!!!

Yeah..this...I've kicked myself out to the garage which is where the kegerator is, so woot! Kids and wife may inevitably come out during a brew day and subsequently complain about the smell. But..at that point, I can say...my space..you came out here, so tough!!!!

Yes, garage was the best move...now just gotta figure out how to keep warmer in the winter.

I have the Anvil Foundry 10.5 all in one and am very happy with it. I have a smaller brewzilla style brewer (which I still use for small batches and to heat sparge water) that has the ability to program in the different steps of the brewing process. The foundry does not have that feature but what I have figured out is for every step I have to be at the brewer anyway so it is not as big a benefit as I thought it would be. The one thing I find to be great is the ability to use 240 electric. I know many people don't have this option, but with the 240 water heats faster, boils better and I do not have to figure strike temperature as the foundry holds the temperature when the grain is added. I think you will really enjoy using one no matter which one you decide on.

Back