Unusual WLP007 behavior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoghanie

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm brewing a hoppy IPA from extract. I always heard that wlp007 would ferment real quick then drop like a rock. Mine has been fermenting for 7 days and is still crazy cloudy. There is very little airlock activity but there is crazy yeast activity in the bottom of the fermenter. Little clumps are constantly shooting up from the yeast cake. OG was 1060. It's been at 1014 for the last few days so I don't understand why the yeast is still going crazy. Any samples I take for gravity are FULL of clumps of yeast. I want to dry hop soon but I was hoping for all activity to have ceased before dry hopping. Has anyone seen this type of activity before? I only have one fermenter so unfortunately I can't transfer to a secondary. Any comments/suggestions?

Bump your temp up to 68 or 69 degrees and let it finish. At this point, you won't generate any unwanted flavours.

Latest posts

Back