Unusual Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortDog

Reaction score
First off, thanks to all of you guys, I have learned pretty much everything I know from this forum and I am humbled by your generosity. I always search for my own answers but didn't find anything on this topic, hence the post.

This latest all-grain batch is my fourth and it's doing something I have never seen before. The fermentation began with the typical light brown foamy krausen, but over the last day or so (Day 3 of fermentation), it has turned into an ugly, huge, blistering, dark brown krausen that has invaded and enveloped the light brown foamy part. My temps have been consistent at about 68 degrees and I pitched with 2 packs of WY 1056. Now, I've read so many posts here that I can almost here you guys say "fermentation is ugly" and "RDWHAHB" but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance this time. The batch is a slightly modified Denny Conn Vanilla Bourbon Porter. It is popping my blow-off bucket like a big dog, but never reached the mouth of the carboy, so there is a lot going on - and it is presumably all good - but if you guys could add any relative color of your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Thanks. I'm pretty relaxed... :) I just had never seen this happen before. None of my other brews have done this but it's pretty amazing to watch. When this Imperial Vanilla-Cinnamon Bourbon Porter is done, it's gonna be a tasty one! :mug:

Krausen size/shape/color is one of those things like airlock bubbling that is really irrelevant.

All krausens look different, even using the same yeast on different batches.

The amount of krausen can vary for whatever reason, it can come quick and depart quickly or it can linger long after fermentation is complete, and it all be normal.

There is nothing "typical" in brewing...every fermentation is different, and should not be used to compare one with another...you can't do that.

No two fermentations are ever exactly the same.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

I've seen krausens on here that look like brains....Just remember, fermentation is ugly and smelly, and that is on good days. So relax.

:mug:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Revvy, I always tend to look for your posts on the topics I query and I have probably learned more from you than any other individual in this forum...so many thanks!

I didn't want to waste any time in learning how to extract brew, so I built my mash tun and HLT from 10 gallon igloo coolers, bought everything I needed to get started (and then some) and jumped right into all-grain brewing. My first batch was a brown that has gotten better and better with age. Also, my first batch was the last time I bottled! Man! Never again! My second batch was an IPA that is still delicious out of my corny keg. The third batch I did was an Imperial IPA that is still actively fermenting here on Day 10 and will go into secondary (when it's ready) for a couple of weeks of dry-hopping. And my last, most recent brew is the modified Denny Conn recipe which will go into secondary (when it's ready) and sit on halved and quartered Madagascar Vanilla Beans and cinnamon sticks and will finish with a 1oz per gallon addition of Maker's Mark.

Each time I have a question on *anything* related to the brewing process, I simply type it into the Search box here and 99.9% of the time, I get my answer. So again, guys, thanks so much. I haven't posted much simply because I haven't had to. Now that I am getting some valuable experience behind me, I look forward to contributing to this forum.

WD

Back