unusual bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
by unusual i mean anything other then the standard 12oz brown bottles. recently i've found a sierra nevada, some large guiness bottles, and a bunch of green bottles from heinekin and becks. what are some other beer companies that use unusual bottles that arn't twist off? I only have a few of the random sizes and want to wait until i have enough to do a full brew in matching bottles. what bottles do you guys like?

I recently had a long hammer ipa which was in a different bottle. Short and fat. Thought it was pretty cool.

Always thought these were cool but never tried this beer.

image-409254868.jpg

Hobgoblin.
Is red stripe twist off?

Red Stripe is pop-off, but the labels are screen printed and damn near impossible to get off.

Orval bottles
are interesting (kind of look like potion bottles from video games) and they can apparently hold a crap-ton of pressure too.

mmonteiro said:
may be the coolest bottle i've seen.. is it mass produced, what beer is that?

It's called lucky beer or lucky Buddha I think. I've seen it at a few stores but never bought it. I might just to have a few bottles.

I really like these bottles but they're screw cap.
Guinness draught bottles are nice too. The plastic label peels right off no glue is used. They're heat shrinked on there.

image-1894227654.jpg

jacobg83 said:
I really like these bottles but they're screw cap.
Guinness draught bottles are nice too. The plastic label peels right off no glue is used. They're heat shrinked on there.

Yeah they beer inside them is good to the red and blue ones

grfrazee said:
Red Stripe is pop-off, but the labels are screen printed and damn near impossible to get off.

Orval bottles
are interesting (kind of look like potion bottles from video games) and they can apparently hold a crap-ton of pressure too.

Are u sure? There is a whole thread on removing corona labels. Some say starsan soak will take them right off coronas. I can see them that different

I got some freecycle bottles that were about the size and shape of the session bottles above in the pic. Thought they were cool initially, but after trying to put them in my fridge, lined up with bottles from other batches, they were a real pain. The odd size doesn't mesh well with the uniformity of the Sammys!

There's a lot of cool ones out there. I'm partial to the Russian River 375ml cork bottles...and thankfully, Rebel Brewer just started stocking them.

Maredsous is cool too:

maredsous10.jpg

I totally forgot about Belgian bottles, like Duvel, which is the same as the one above.

Only problem is that the beer in that kind of bottle are usually fairly expensive.

I like boulevards 12oz smokestack, they look like mini versions of champagne bottles

Mumbly said:
I like boulevards 12oz smokestack, they look like mini versions of champagne bottles

Thanks for the reminder, I have to pick up a bunch of empties at my favorite bar tonight. I love them too, so classy.

Has every one used the bottles they reccomend? I mentioned hobgoblin and tried to cap them today and they don't work with the 2handed capped...... so keep that in mind if they have too much of a "head" on them they wont work

Orval bottles

dont let this dismay you, take a wire wheel to it and they come right off, just have to be patient enough to scrub labels off of dozens at a time

my personal favorite is the flip top grolsch bottles, they also save you a ton of time come bottling, and the bottles seem super heavy duty, extremely well made product, almost infinitely reusable (just have to occasionally replace the washers, which are 25 for $1.25 at my LHBS)

grolsch-profile.jpg

I second the Grolsch bottles.

Personally, I don't like bottles with no shoulder, because I like using the shoulder to catch the yeast.

I also like green bottles, because it's easier to see inside them when pouring and when cleaning.

A spray can of paint stripper will melt screen-printed labels off instantly. Wear gloves.

For something different, found a beer called Mississippi mud. The beer isn't horrible (not great either) but it comes in a 32 oz jug with a metal screw on cap and a label that is shrink wrapped plastic, so its easy to get off. Oh and each bottle is only $2.99 + tax here in Niceville, FL. Even if the beer was undrinkable I'd buy it just for the bottle!

Mississippi_Mud_200.jpg

Back