Unsolicited phone calls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone else feel a slight panic in between the time you pick up the phone and say hello and the person on the other end starts to talk? Maybe just me, had a few awkward phone calls over the years and maybe I should answer in a foreign accent or something in future.

For the second time in a month, the other day the "Fraternal Order of Police" wanted to talk to "the lady of the house"(??).

I told the caller she was doing the Applachian Trail. The call did not go very far..

I don't even have the ringer on my land line on. I never answer it. I'm not even sure why I keep it (I use DSL but could change that). I use it to order delivery pizza/chinese and that's about it. If I don't recognize the name/number with my cell, I will usually not answer. Occasionally I'll get a call from a 'known' area code that looks like it might be legit and I'll answer it...with ~50% 'success' rate.

Once I got a call from my work. Except it wasn't from my work. I asked the guy who is was with and then proceeded to rip him a new one for using our name on his caller ID. He was quite shaken. He said they just get numbers from some other business who calls people and forwards the call to them when someone picks up. I call them. They give excuses that it's just an empty number and they don't change the caller ID info.

I call back the first company and get a manager and explain to him that if they do NOT take our name off their caller ID I will sue them in court for misrepresenting our company. It's illegal to misrepresent yourself on caller ID as well.

But the past many months have been free of most hangup calls. A few credit card type offers now and again, but pretty quiet. I have always enjoyed fking with them, but my wife thinks I could get in trouble. Hey, THEY called ME!

I'm a big fan of answering telemarketer calls and putting them on hold. "Um ok, but can you hold on a second, there's someone at the door." Set the phone down and then hang it up when I hear it start beeping. :)
I do the same thing. I'm pretty sure I get added to a do not call list after wasting their time.
If they call back an air horn is a good deterrent. I start talking lower and lower and when I know they are really listening I let the horn blast.

Mood dependent. I screen 99% of unrecognized numbers and 30% of recognized ones :D I think it's funny when people are like, "Um..your phone is ringing what aren't you picking it up!?" It's like they don't understand the concept of 'You're not obligated to talk to anyone that calls you'.

I do the same thing. I'm pretty sure I get added to a do not call list after wasting their time.
If they call back an air horn is a good deterrent. I start talking lower and lower and when I know they are really listening I let the horn blast.

Wow. I know it's annoying, but it's just someone trying to feed their families. Would you rather them be on welfare? Either ignore the call or answer and say no thanks and hangup on them if they won't let you go. No reason to a d*ck and deafen someone trying to support themselves.

It's like they don't understand the concept of 'You're not obligated to talk to anyone that calls you'.

Exactly! I have never been remotely interested in answering a phone. Maybe because mine only rings when someone wants something. Damn needy people.

Wow. I know it's annoying, but it's just someone trying to feed their families. Would you rather them be on welfare? Either ignore the call or answer and say no thanks and hangup on them if they won't let you go. No reason to a d*ck and deafen someone trying to support themselves.

This is true if it's a first-time call or not completely unsolicited. But when people call back after you've explicitly told them never to call again, as far as I'm concerned their family can go die in a fire.

While I think hoping their family dies in a fire is extreme I see no big deal in screwing with them a little. I like the Sienfeld response: Gimme your home number and I'll call you back later. Oh, you don't want to be bothered at home during your dinner? Now you know how I feel. <click>

I don't answer my home phone but I've had solicitors ring my doorbell right when I'm in the middle of dumping the last bit of wort from the kettle to the funnel. Unless it's a little girl scout or something...they're getting a very irate person answering that door. "Not interested, read the farking sign!"...<slam><bolt>

If I dont know the number, then I don't usually answer. I figure that if it's important, then they will leave a message. Hell sometimes, I don't answer the phone even if I know who the person is. Sometimes I just don't want to speak to someone.

If it's clearly a telemarketing call, it's ignored.

Until 11 yrs ago, if I didn't feel like answering the phone, I used to ignore it even if it was a known number. That was until someone was trying to reach me to tell me my father had a heart attack and I ignored it. They tell me I missed him by about 10 minutes.....When someone I know is trying to reach me now, I answer the phone, always.

This is true if it's a first-time call or not completely unsolicited. But when people call back after you've explicitly told them never to call again, as far as I'm concerned their family can go die in a fire.
Good point. I'm sure they remember all 500 phone numbers they make each day that are auto dialed for them in the first place :D

If it's clearly a telemarketing call, it's ignored.

Until 11 yrs ago, if I didn't feel like answering the phone, I used to ignore it even if it was a known number. That was until someone was trying to reach me to tell me my father had a heart attack and I ignored it. They tell me I missed him by about 10 minutes.....When someone I know is trying to reach me now, I answer the phone, always.

I ignored my step mothers call the other day. She was trying to tell me my dad took an attempt at his own life. He failed and I was able to see him at the hospital so I completely understand your reasoning here.

Back