Unitank (Spike) setup scenarios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
This probably applies to S.S. Brewtech too, but I'm focussing my discussion on Spike.
I'm in the final stages of my purchasing decision on a Spike Unitank/conical.
I want to make sure I'm getting the right fittings for a few setup scenarios, so I'm going to list my scenarios and ideas, each in a unique post. Please reply back if you have any experience/ideas on them.
Thanks

Force carbonation
Where do I put a carb stone? Thinking I get a 4" (or whatever my stone needs) TC extension and add to the racking port...then put the carb stone on the end of the extension and open the valve.
I'll also need a 15 psi pressure relief valve (and probably a pressure gauge) up on the 1.5" TC on the lid. Guess these two will be legs off of a T.

Thoughts?

Pressure transfer
Put a T on the 1.5" TC on the lid. One leg will have a TC to 1/4" flare to accept the gas in. Other leg will have a 15 psi pressure relief valve.
Then...a TC to barb on the racking port.

Thoughts?

CIP
Pump output to the CIP ball on the 1.5" TC on the lid. Take the 2" TC to whatever pump input.
Do I need to do anything with the racking port or the sample port? I saw a video where someone tee'd the pump input connecting the racking port and the dump valve. Then you could shut the dump valve and go out the racking port for a few more mins.

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat. I bought my spike uni after wanting a conical for years. I didn't realize I would want to carbonate in it until I found out that I could. There isn't much info that I could find as far as set up. If you get any good info, post it. I will try to do the same. I don't want to wait until spike releases there PRV and carb stones if I could set it up now.

My spike arrived on Friday. I have ordered additional parts to build my sounding valve.
1. 1/4 NPT SS cross
2. 0-30(60) pressure gauge
3. adjustable pressure relief valve
4. 1/4 NPT 19/32-18 adapter and a ball lock gas post
5. 1.5 Tricamp to 1/4 NPT adapter.

put them all together, you will be able to sounding, pressure transfer, and blow off.

A more sanitary way is adding an additional tube between TC-NPT adapter and the cross. The relief valve, gauge, cross combination is not easy to clean and sanitized. Keeping it away from the beer makes me feel more comfortable.

So would you just take off the racking cane and place the T on? or could you use a cross with the racking cane and a ball valve at the end?

Can you get it to reliably release pressure at > 15psi?

No. I don't know. I use it for keg to keg transfer only.
The 0-100psi brass one from Amazon works better in adjusting the pressure, but I like SS better. Easy to dissemble and clean is crucial.

A better solution in this case, is a pressure relief valve in range 0-15psi. Changing the spring might make it perfectly fit. The problem is to find a spring. Some measure and math should help to find it, but it's nearly impossible for individuals.

Here is my pressurized transfer solution.
Spike's PRV on the left
a 1/4 to 19/32 and gas post from Bobby on the right
a gauge and TC -> 1/4" I had on top and bottom
a 1/4" NPT 4-way from Amazon

IMG_0982.jpg

I just received 2 two of the 1/2 barrel unitanks. I do pressurized fermentations. My relief valve is adjustable but it is brass. I prefer it to be stainless but cannot find one. Has anyone seen an adjustable stainless pressure relief valve?

Back