Unique? Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything searching. Maybe my terms are wrong for it. Anyway.

I brewed my first lager last week, just checked the gravity, and it hasn't moved a single point. I started elevating the temp on it thinking that maybe I didn't give it long enough in the high 60s to get started before dropping the temp. Well that worked, and I've got bubbles.

So how long should I wait before dropping back down into the low to mid 50s? :drunk:

I couldn't find anything searching. Maybe my terms are wrong for it. Anyway.

I brewed my first lager last week, just checked the gravity, and it hasn't moved a single point. I started elevating the temp on it thinking that maybe I didn't give it long enough in the high 60s to get started before dropping the temp. Well that worked, and I've got bubbles.

So how long should I wait before dropping back down into the low to mid 50s? :drunk:

dropping the temp is not what started your fermentation, it was going but not at the stage where it was apparent. did you make a big starter for that lager? if you didn't it may have spent the week slowly building up the yeast population in your beer.

no starter. its my first lager and I didn't know. i just checked it, and now it appears to not be fermenting again. I'm thinking that maybe the bubbles I was getting were just gases expanding, and that I may need to pitch more yeast.

On the road headed back to the house now. It was bubbling slow but steady when I left. I'm thinking it may be ok now. Just wondering at what rate I should drop the temp into the ideal range.

For future reference - if you pitch enough yeast, you don't need to start the fermentation in the high 60's - you can pitch at fermentation temp. At any rate, to answer your question, the advice from White Labs is:

"Once you see active fermentation, bring the temperature of the wort down 10 degrees per 12 hours until the desired fermentation temperature has been achieved. This method works well without forming high amounts of esters because most esters are produced after the first 12 hours."

Thanks man. I looked for a statement like that but couldn't find one.

I've been doing a couple degrees every couple hours and will be at my germ temp within that 12 hr window

KingKlong said:
Thanks man. I looked for a statement like that but couldn't find one.

I've been doing a couple degrees every couple hours and will be at my germ temp within that 12 hr window

Mistyped. Ferm not germ.

Just moved to secondary and all looks good. There was a ton of trub and gravity is at 1.011ish. Tasted the sample and it seems I have no negative effects from basically waiting a week to start the fermentation. It's sweet and hoppy. Maybe a little too much for the wife's taste. I hope that dies out a little do she likes it. It is for her. What do you guys think about that?

Sweet at 1.011? Interesting. Perhaps it's perceived sweetness from esters from warmer fermentation. That should fade somewhat with lagering. Hoppiness will also mellow/fade.

Did you do a diacetyl rest? I would think that with that much delay you'd have some diacetyl. If not, awesome...lager away!

I agree. 1.011 should not taste sweet... especially if it is also hoppy. Maybe hoppy is aroma and not bitterness... which, if there is no bitterness, maybe explains sweet.

Regardless, hoppiness fades with age and carbonation.

Sorry for how I wrote that. The sweetness is fine. The wife isn't a fan of hoppy. I did do a d rest. 3 full days.

Back