Unique keggerator idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingwin77

Reaction score
So I have 2 semi-beat up wine fridges that I am going to try this on before actually moving it to my only small fridge. Instead of putting the kegs in the cooling area and taking up all the space, I'm thinking of putting my cooling plate from my jockey/draft box onto the top shelf and just run the hoses to the kegs outside. Any thought about how well this would work? I'm guessing it would be just like the draft box as long as I keep the fridge cool enough. This was I can keep the can and other bottle of beer in it as well.

I only have 1 photo of the idea so far but can put more up if there are any questions.

043b1176.jpg

Not enough thermal mass.

As soon as you get a pint drawn it will warm up and will not keep up with more than a pint or two.

You would need several gallons of very cold liquid (ice and water) surrounding it to pull more than one beer every half hour or so.

Can the wine fridges get cold enough? Most of them are designed for 50-55F (which is fine if you like REAL ales:D). You might be able to bypass the internal thermostats and use externals if necessary.

What if the plate/coil were placed in a container of water or glycol to provide a more massive heat sink? Or do you think the volume of coolant needed would defeat the purpose?

I use a wine cooler for my kegerator and it gets plenty cold. I actually had to turn it down because it got TOO cold.

Back