Unintentional sour, how do i save my belgian quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
Long story short, went to brew a belgian quad, got distracted by a hospital visit, came back, and my wort (post sparge/pretty boil) is sour-ish. How do I rescue my recipe? It is 8 lbs of pale malt and 7 lbs of pilsner malt. Do I even add the candi syrup? Do I brew my quad as normal, and if I dont like the result after letting my Belgian ardennes yeast do its thing, then add some sour bugs and let it finish for a year?
Would appreciate everyone's thoughts. I have never done a sour but would be open to trying. Thanks

I’d continue as normal. You’ve probably just done a kettle sour which could be ok in this style. If your gravity is still close to what you expected, then no yeast were playing yet. If it’s too sour for you, try adding calcium carbonate or make a little extra wort.

Depending on how sour it got you might be able to ph correct it but if you've already pitched the yeast then even if you ph correct afterwards you still have the issue that fermentation occurred at a lowish ph and the yeast character may be muted. If you want whatever number of gallons this recipe is of sour beer then sure you can see how it is at the end of fermentation and pitch a sour culture. If you aren't much of a sour beer fan then maybe it doesn't make sense to have to replace or spend time thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing your equipment just to try to salvage a single batch. If you're really set on not dumping the beer you could always cook it down to a syrup and use it for culinary purposes.

Back