Unheated Gelatin Kegging error!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzlsimsmzl

Reaction score
So I've just kegged my pale ale added gelatin to some water to bloom and then poured it directly into the keg. I then realised I didn't heat it up first! I don't expect any clarification to happen but have I damaged my beer? is there any remedial action I can take or should I just let it ride?

Any help is appreciated, long time lurker first time poster!

How long are you supposed to let it sit in the hot water? I just started using gelatin, and I pretty much add it to the 160º*water, give it a good whisk, then dump it in.

are you using gelatin sheets or the powder stuff?

sheets you bloom in cold water for 5-10 mins until the soften, then can be added to a hot liquid and whisked to combine.. gelatin (the real stuff from animals) dissolves around 100F.

Not really too sure about the powder stuff.. im sure the instructions would be on the box.. only have experience using gel sheets in commercial kitchens.

I agree with rossi... rack to a new carboy and use new gelatin to add to it.. dont try to salvage the gelatin that you placed in the old carboy.

i thought the heating part was just to pasteurize it. idk if its necessary for it to clear the beer.

I would NOT transfer it and try again. i would just leave it alone. Put it in your keezer/kegerator and leave it there for a few days and pull some beer out and see if its working.

For future batches a good informative outline of gelatin use is here

I don't think any harm will come to your beer from not heating the gelatin. Possible but unlikely. It will be ineffective and perhaps sink to the bottom and be pulled off in the first 10-20 oz or so just as with any keg sediments. I have nothing to back this statement up with however

I have a delima, my beer is very cloudy, wheither a brewing error (first time with mash tun and sparging), didnt use irish moss... but I carbed the beer as it was my first time kegging also... I figured it would fall out... alas it hasnt... could gelatin be used on carbonated beer?

Interestingly the Crosby & Baker Gelatin says
Code:
Usage: 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons.  Dissolve in 1/2 cup water.  Let stand then add.
So they never say to heat it up (although might be necessary to actually dissolve).

I would recommend you boil and cool the water your going to use in the future, and still heat up to dissolve; just pointing out that it may work.

Either way let this one ride :tank:

Back