Unfilled Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxflia

Reaction score
I just racked my beer from the primary to a 5 gal glass carboy. I thought I had a 5 gal batch going but I have about 5 inches to the neck. I am getting one bubble every two minutes or so. Will this open space cause oxidation in my beer? Im planning on only keeping it in the secondary for one or two weeks. If it matters it is an Oatmeal Stout.

I asked the same question and was told not to worry about it. You would rather have less space...but it's no big deal.

Not to worry. Chances are your 5 gal carboy is actually larger like everyone else's.

As long as you have the airlock on you can't get oxidation. The CO2 coming from the brew is not allowing fresh air (and oxidation) from coming in.

Another thing, next time your carboy is empty take a gallon jug, fill it with water and pour it into your carboy. Now get your girlfriend/wife's red nail polish and put a 2" line on the glass to mark the 1 gal mark. Repeat the process for 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 gals.

Do the same to your plastic bucket, ESPECIALLY your bottling bucket.

These lines will let you know how much brew you REALLY have when you get ready to prime for bottling.

You really/probably don't want to put 1.5 C of priming sugar into 4 gals of beer unless you want a lot of carbonation. Adversely, you don't want to "guess" at using 3/4 C for 5.5 gals.

Happy brewing!

homebrewer_99 said:
You really/probably don't want to put 1.5 C of priming sugar into 4 gals of beer unless you want a lot of carbonation. Adversely, you don't want to "guess" at using 3/4 C for 5.5 gals.

Happy brewing!

Hmm, good call. I was thinking that my 1st two batches are a little overcarbonated. Probably is the reason why. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the responses. Good tip about the marks. My primary came from a Coopers Home Brew Kit. So it is marked off in liters. I can never remember the conversions. Thanks again.

maxflia said:
I am getting one bubble every two minutes or so. Will this open space cause oxidation in my beer?
The bubbling action is good, that means that there is at least a layer of CO2 on top of the beer and that it is pushing the O2 out of the primary. I did secondary in 6.5's for a couple of years and I didn't detect any oxidation in any of those.

Back