Unfermented wort recipe thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
An idea put into my head by this thread.

The idea is you take some wort from your kettle and seal it, pasteurised, to use in a recipe, or in your coffee, or just to sip. What would/do you use unfermented wort for?

To kick it off, here's what put it directly into my head:

TheCrane said:
Try cooking with wort as well. Save a cup or so of first runnings and use as a marinade or glaze. I recently tried this on country style ribs (Cooked a 300 F, in ~ 1" of Pre-hops IPA). Finished under broiler with a chipotle and adobo sauce. UNBELIEVABLE!!

What else are you guys thinking?

Its not cooking, but I use unfermented wort for making starters. I freeze it and when I need to make starters I boil it down again...

On the other side, I tried using my IPA as a de-glazing liquid to make a sauce for some fish I sauteed, absolutely terrible. Bitter as hell.

Very interesting. I missed the original thread the first time. I may have to think about saving that 1/4 gallon that I usually end up pitching.

Yeah, I'm thinking unhopped wort. Once it's been hopped, wort isn't nearly as tasty. Except as potential.

With dark wort I had honey and spices then reduce and keep in the fringe.
It's great over potato wedges cooked in the oven.
It makes them crunchy.

I also add tomato sauce to the above for my BBQ sauce.

With out the honey I add it to stews and pies.

Hi today we had an incredible experience. My husband and our friend made a nut brown ale that my husband had devised, and we had some left over wort and spent grain so we saved some and today, after making fresh strawberry preserves from some strawberries I had got at the farmer's market, we made some homemade bread that used BOTH the wort (which was sweet enough, we didn't need to add sugar or honey to the dough) and some of the spent grain. We used a french bread loaf recipe, and instead of water used the wort, and deleted the sugar. Then added a cup of the spent grain (we will use more next time). We then let the knead cycle to through and then took the dough out, punched it down, formed it into a ball, let it rise again (it rose beautifully) and formed it into two loaves, slashed it and hit it with an egg wash and sesame seeds and baked it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees on the pizza stone in our oven.

Oh. My. God. This is the best bread we've ever made. I'm going to make some more wort tomorrow and freeze it so we can have this for bread every time we want to make it. Anyone else have experience with wort and bread baking? I knew about the spent grain but the wort made this really special.

Great thread! I got some ideas now for mashing some extra wort and boiling separately without hops and making some simple syrups. Maybe flavored.

Oh. My. God. This is the best bread we've ever made. I'm going to make some more wort tomorrow and freeze it so we can have this for bread every time we want to make it. Anyone else have experience with wort and bread baking? I knew about the spent grain but the wort made this really special.

A bit of a zombie revival, but a good topic nonetheless.

An episode of Brewing TV mentioned a drink called a "Hot Scotchy" for which you run off some precious first runnings into a cup and mix it with scotch. I've never tried it, but they raved about it on the show.

I made pizza dough using smoked porter wort and spent grains. Topped it with roasted garlic BBQ sauce, chicken, mozzarella and smoked gouda. Paired this, with, of course, Smoked porter! Turned out great!

A bit of a zombie revival, but a good topic nonetheless.

An episode of Brewing TV mentioned a drink called a "Hot Scotchy" for which you run off some precious first runnings into a cup and mix it with scotch. I've never tried it, but they raved about it on the show.

I made pizza dough using smoked porter wort and spent grains. Topped it with roasted garlic BBQ sauce, chicken, mozzarella and smoked gouda. Paired this, with, of course, Smoked porter! Turned out great!

Sounds marvelous...

:mug:

What a great bread recipe!!! I'm going to try using wort in my next spent grain whole wheat bread. Thank you!

Will also be braising some short ribs in wort tomorrow too.

Resurrecting this thread…I was just thinking about using some wort for beer buttercream to go into a French macaron…maybe even a slight hint of cryo hops dusted in? My daughter came up with an idea to make macaron pairings with my beer because I enjoy making both, but was just thinking how interesting the idea could be!

Back