Uneven carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecil1975

Reaction score
I'm feverishly drinking my first brew and have noticed some of the bottles seem to be carbonated more than others. Is that normal? I think it might have something to do with the fact that some of the bottles were Blue Moon, which I think are twist off caps. Could that be the problem or did I do something wrong?

I dont remember blue moon being a twist off, but I might be wrong, anyway my bottles tend to be carbonated diff as well, so I would also like to hear the other comments

Could it be your drinking them too early? What stlyle of beer what gravity how much priming sugar,how did you prime? You dont want to cap twist off. I did but i also broke one and decided to stay away from twist off.Are only those twist off's not very carbed?

It could be the twist off caps, but I have heard of some using them sucessfully. Often unequal carbonation is from the priming sugar not being completely sirred into the finished beer. You can end up with more sugar in some bottles, and less in others.

I don't think timing is the problem and the final gravity was right on when I bottled. I think it's pretty much only been the Blue Moon bottles but can't be sure....been drinking a lot lately!

I don't think timing is the problem and the final gravity was right on when I bottled. I think it's pretty much only been the Blue Moon bottles but can't be sure....been drinking a lot lately!

It has nothing to do with final gravity, its simply that the priming sugar wasnt mixed evenly, or your caps are leaking. If its your caps you should see tiny bubble rising up the side of the bottles.

Back