Understanding Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

Reaction score
Hi, i'm on the way to brew my first All-grain batch. I downloaded the trial version of beersmith to learn how tou use the program before doing my first all grain batch.

But here is something i try to understand in the mash steps;

(this come from a beersmith recipes)

Mash In Add 2.98 gal of water at....for 45min
Mash Out Add 1.19 gal of water at...for 10min
Fly sparge with 4.99 gal of water at...

So can someone tell me if this is good;

-Heat strike water.
-Put grain in the mash tun and pour 2.98gal for 45min(is this the "mash in"?)
- "Mash out" dont know what is this..Do i simply put 1.19 more hot water in the mash tun for an other 10min? or i have to drain the wort before?
-Fly sparge is to drop hot water to keep a 2" of water on the top of grain bed while draining the wort?

Thank you for you help!

You've got it about right. I would note a couple things:

1. When you mash in, I would suggest adding the water first, at a few degrees above your strike temperature. Then let the water cool to your strike temperature before adding the grain. This allows your mash tun to heat up.

2. If you are going to fly sparge, remember slower is better. For a 5 gallon batch, it should take a minimum of 30 minutes. 45 minutes to an hour would be much better. It is tedious, but will help you rinse more sugars out.

Bock, you have the basics of a mash and fly sparge correct. Are you planning on doing a fly sparge?

Having just started doing all-grain brewing myself, it seems that a batch sparge is easier to accomplish and has given me good results. See here for a better explaination between the two: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html.

It is not necessary to do a Mash out.. Just go ahead and do a 60 min mash.

If your doing fly sparge then yes you are adding water over the top of the grain and draining at the same time. While keeping a few inches on top of the grain bed.

I would go with the batch sparge for ease..

Thank's for quick answer! Can i change the "fly sparge" to "batch sparge" in beersmith? Batch sparge seems more easier! I already read all the " How to brew " book and it help me a lot.

Tally350: you said that is not necessary to do a Mash out, so in this case(exemple in post 1) do i need to pour 2.98gal+1.19 at the same time? or i do not put the 1.19gal of mash out water?

Forget last post, i just found where tu change the mash!

I only have one question about that on beersmith, what is the difference betwen;

Single infusion, full body, batch sparge
Single infusion, Medium body, batch sparge
Single infusion, light body, batch sparge

thank you.

The body has to do with the mash temps..
High temps = Full bodied... More unfermentables
Lower temps = Light Bodied.. More Fermentables

Yes, you can change to batch sparge in beersmith. I forget if it's in the equipment profile, or where the mash calculations are. I'm on my work computer and don't have the software in front of me, but you should find it. I know I've used that setting for my AG batches.

NM - You already answered that. I hadn't refreshed the page.

Back