Underestimated sparge water temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyikos

Reaction score
I mashed for about 60 minutes at 145, but when it came to sparging I accidentally added sparge water that reached equilibrium at 178F. All the mash water was drained at that point so the bare grain got hit with hotter than expected 2.5 gallons of water, gravity of the drainoff was 1.02.

Any problems with this? I pretty sure nothing will get stuck as I still have 4 gallons of wort that's been sitting at 145 for a sufficient amount of time going into the boil but wanted to ask just in case.

Well, that's pretty low to mash, but you'll probably just end up with a very dry fermentable beer. The hot sparge water is also a problem, you may have extracted some tannins from the hulls of your grain. You may be ok, though, depending on your pH, and your sparge temp wasn't totally outrageous, so the beer will probably be fine, perhaps a bit of astringency if you're unlucky. Just something to look out for next time.

Just wondering why the low low low mash temp?

The reason for the low mash temp was me hoping for a really dry beer. I plan to use a high protein malt in the future to make a beer that's mostly alcohol and protein, but no sugar. So I wanted to see how complete can I go attenuation wise. I tasted some fermented wort, doesn't appear to be any tannin bitterness in it - so far so good. Fermentation is chugging along.

I measured FG a few days ago. It finished at 1.01 or maybe .009. That's 80% attenuation with nottingham yeast? Does that seem a little too high FG for anyone, I heard people say nottingham can get up to 90% attenuation at low mash temps. Most people in the recipe database claim 80% attenuated FG from yeast that's rated for 75%. How do they do it?

Latest posts

Back