Undercarbed beers... anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeydan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I misread the priming calculator and thought that you needed to enter the temperature of the beer at bottling, NOT the temperature of the fermentation. As I had lagered the beer (a Kolsch) it was very cold when I bottled it so my beers are very undercarbed. They are drinkable (just) but it's almost like a cask ale carbonation - a spritz on the tongue but no visible bubbles in the beer itself.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to chalk this up to experience?

Cheers

Dan

I just made the exact same mistake actually. I don't know what to tell you, except drink it and pretend it's a real ale.

You can uncap, add difference in sugar, recap and wait 2-3 Weeks.

Hmmm... any advice on how to do this? I'm thinking I would dissolve the sugar in as small an amount of water as possible and add via a syringe to the bottles. Sound good?

I might actually do this - if it was carbed to 2.5 volumes as it should be, I think it would be a nice beer!

Hmmm... any advice on how to do this? I'm thinking I would dissolve the sugar in as small an amount of water as possible and add via a syringe to the bottles. Sound good?

I might actually do this - if it was carbed to 2.5 volumes as it should be, I think it would be a nice beer!

Sounds like an ok plan to me (but i've never done it). I'd be careful to make sure when you add the extra volume that your bottle still has enough airspace (goes without saying I guess).

If I remember correctly, beer will naturally carbonate on its own (citation lacking, sorry). If you're patient, throw it in your closet for a few more months, see how it does.

I've personally never uncapped, added, and recapped, but that sounds like a) a PITA and b) a risk for nasties in your bottles.

How much priming sugar did you use, for how big a batch?
If you primed then immediately lagered, I is possible that the yeast went dormant and never ferment any of the new sugar you added.
Simple enough to prove, just let them warm up, give them a shake and recheck in a week.

How much priming sugar did you use, for how big a batch?
If you primed then immediately lagered, I is possible that the yeast went dormant and never ferment any of the new sugar you added.
Simple enough to prove, just let them warm up, give them a shake and recheck in a week.

I used 2.4oz table sugar in just over 4.5 gallons (I had to convert that cos I'm British so use grams and litres :)

Actually I lagered in a secondary before I bottled and the bottles have since been at room temp for 19 days. I know that it can take longer than that for bottles to carb fully but it had definitely reached FG and it's no more carbonated after 19 days than it was after 7 (yes, I am impatient and I always try one after a week!)

It was a definite mistake on my part as it's clear on the calculator that it's the temperature of fermentation that is supposed to be used. If I adjust the calculator to the actual fermentation temp it gives me a figure of 3.9oz (more than half as much again), which is in line with how much I used for my previous batches.

I think your better off letting it be and waiting it out. Put it all in a closet some where, wait two months, and then enjoy your carbonated kolsch.

Brew a few other batches in the meantime so you're not tempted to try more.

I'd give each one a good swirl to resuspend the yeast, then let them sit at room temp for about 3 more weeks. You might not get 100% the carbonation you are looking for, but you should get a little more than you currently do without the hassle of opening each bottle up and recapping.

Also, when you do get around to serving them, serve them as cold as you can get em (33-34F), and that should make up a little bit for the lack of carbonation as far as the taste.

Try some of the carbination drops. They are basically premeasured sugar cubes for priming individualy bottles.

And a word of advice for the future: Ignore all the temperature fields in priming calculators. They grossly over-complicate things and don't really matter.

I used 2.4oz table sugar in just over 4.5 gallons (I had to convert that cos I'm British so use grams and litres

Ha! thanks for taking care of that conversion for me ;)
I would agree that 2.4oz in 4.5 gallons is going to give you a lightly carbonated beer.
As others suggested, you could uncap and add more sugar. Crossing your fingers you add equal amounts in each bottle. Or risk over carb / gushers / bombs.
Seems like too much work to me though. If it's palatable, I'd drink it as is.
Use the time saved to brew another batch.

Ha! thanks for taking care of that conversion for me ;)
I would agree that 2.4oz in 4.5 gallons is going to give you a lightly carbonated beer.
As others suggested, you could uncap and add more sugar. Crossing your fingers you add equal amounts in each bottle. Or risk over carb / gushers / bombs.
Seems like too much work to me though. If it's palatable, I'd drink it as is.
Use the time saved to brew another batch.

+1.

Me in your shoes, I'd drink half of it as is, store the other half in the closet for 2-3 months for research purposes, and brew somehting else in the time being! :mug:

I made this same mistake All this time of lagering then you get crappy carbonation from those brewing calc temp differences,im not usin the temp again.im at 2 weeks or more of checking mine if they dont come too in another couple weeks im going to add some dry sugar to them quickly.My lager is really good but being flat just isnt going to do it for this beer. 1/2 tsp is goin in quickly dry uncap recap.

Thanks for the responses everyone, seems like there is a variety of opinion so I think rather than f*** with it, I'll drink enough of 'em to have sufficient empties to bottle the batch currently in my fermentation chamber (been there 5 or 6 weeks, I can't even remember!) and put the rest aside for a couple of months to see if it's any different by then. It is drinkable, just not as nice as it could be. And of course I'm all about trying to make the best beer possible.

Lesson learned though!

Just waiting to get paid next week and I can order some gas for the 2 cornys I've had sitting around empty for the last few weeks...

If the carbonation does not suit you, brew the same batch and slightly overcarbonate it - then mix one from each batch when it's time to drink. That seems to solve all problems.

B

Back