Unbreakable Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriznac

Reaction score
Not even two weeks since I started brewing and I have broken my first hydrometer. I've searched the web for an "unbreakable" replacement without any luck. Has anyone come across an unbreakable or otherwise more resilient hydrometer?

I don't know of any. Buy two so you have a spare. They break all the time.

I've heard they make them in plastic. That's probably not a bad idea, as long as it's still accurate. I'm sure there's a few folks on here who would tell you to get a refractometer and just do the math, though....maybe you should look into buying one; I've been happy!

Thet do make plastic hydrometers.I used one 10 yrs ago in the lab. You need to check scientific supply houses. Make sure to get the correct scale.

Check this hydrometer out. While its not exactly unbreakable, it is break-resistant. At 3 times the price of a glass hydrometer, it might be worth it if you are prone to breaking them...

Thet do make plastic hydrometers.I used one 10 yrs ago in the lab. You need to check scientific supply houses. Make sure to get the correct scale.

And now you open up a whole other debate topic. "Is my plastic hydrometer food grade....."

I'll go with Edwort on this. The more hydrometers you have, the less likely any one of them will break.

I like that polycarbonate hydrometer for sure, but that is pretty steep. I guess its glass ones for now but tax time isn't too far away.:)

I don't get it, why do people break hyrdrometers all the damn time??? I've been using the same one for almost a year now, and have even come close to breaking it. Of course, now that I've said this...I'll be in the market for an unbreakable hydrometer after my next brew day. :D

I don't get it, why do people break hyrdrometers all the damn time??? I've been using the same one for almost a year now, and have even come close to breaking it. Of course, now that I've said this...I'll be in the market for an unbreakable hydrometer after my next brew day. :D

I am NOT going to say anything to tempt fate, but I may or may not still be on my first hydrometer. I started brewing about 3 years ago.

I thought the same thing....then one day it slipped out of its tube and WHAMMY! I recently broke one by leaving it in my 15F garage. It shattered just from the extreme temps.

I'm on my third and have picked up a couple at yard sales. Mine tend to get in the way of drunk folk at brewouts...:(

I keep a crappy little one on hand just in case.

it seems like you always break it BEFORE you take the reading. If only it could have waited a few more second to smash on the floor.

Back